BANGING PIPES.

So to sum it up heating is off, no hot taps running, no cold taps runing, in fact NOTHING running or working and you still get this banging that we now assume is water hammer :confused:

I don't know if we've had an answer to the question about what your previous system was :confused: Did you have a combi or was it a conventional boiler and hot water cylinder fed from tanks in the loft?

If it was cold tank fed could this be a toilet ball valve (probably bathroom) that was on low pressure but is now on your high mains pressure but hasn't had the high pressure adaptor fitted?

Any other drips or leaks you haven't mentioned?

Sponsored Links
Sonny88 said:
Thanks for your help,

Would/could I get BG to do this (FREE) as its a result of them fitting the boiler?

Yes, the filling loop has been turned off and disconnected, also its set at about 1.5 bar.

When it was first decided to have this boiler their rep said we have a good water pressure, which he checked and said all was ok. 15 bar I think he said, but don't quote me on that.

This happens even when the heating is OFF.

does it happen when you open a tap or flush a toilet

I see what your saying gas, but it dont matter if the CH is off or on, its the water side that is causing it

OP i was pulling your leg no offence meant (u tight get ;) )

Yeh Corgi I relaise that, but op seems to be saying it occurs without ANYTHING on or being used :confused:

Surely water hammer can only be caused when something is using the water :confused:

mm thats true

but if it is occuring when nothing is being used how can it be the boiler OR the water pipes??

this is a rum one

cor dont we sound like holmes and watson on a tough case ;) lol

Sponsored Links
if it happens when nothing is running, take up the floor boards to look for an apprentice nailed in, and trying to attract your attention.

Has either of your neighbours installed a big shock arrester? :idea:

JohnD said:
if it happens when nothing is running, take up the floor boards to look for an apprentice nailed in, and trying to attract your attention.

:LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

Yes we did have a conventional boiler before with tank in loft (expansion tank) and in airing cupboard (large immersion tank)

As previously stated, it bangs when the stopcock is turned more open and when there is NOTHING being used, noticed more during evening and during the night.

Now that you mention it, next-door did have a banging in their pipes some months ago, I think after they had a problem with the water, not sure now what the cause or remedy was, I know they had to leave a tap on 24/7, this stopped it, but don't know how or when it was fixed.

a big shock arrester......What is one of those??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back