Base - slightly out of square

Joined
30 Mar 2015
Messages
4,651
Reaction score
93
Country
United Kingdom
I built this base and measured everything diligently as I went along.

IMG_9225.jpeg

When I measure from corner to corner, there is a 1cm difference. I’ve tried kicking it in the corner but that knocks it out on the other end.

Is there a better way to do this?
 
Get two lengths of string the same length.
Put them both on the same corner to corner.
Mark both.
Move one so you have one on each corner to corner.
If you can get them both the same lining up to marks or just over or under under it will be squared up.
 
I built this base and measured everything diligently as I went along.

View attachment 423492

When I measure from corner to corner, there is a 1cm difference. I’ve tried kicking it in the corner but that knocks it out on the other end.

Is there a better way to do this?
Normally the OSB floor would help to square it, but you're putting that in after walls i think? 10mm is fine over that distance, it wouldn't even be noticed, but you could set the walls a few mill in/out to get back to square.
 
Get two lengths of string the same length.
Put them both on the same corner to corner.
Mark both.
Move one so you have one on each corner to corner.
If you can get them both the same lining up to marks or just over or under under it will be squared up.
But the string has some flex in it. Not sure I follow your suggestion.
 
Normally the OSB floor would help to square it, but you're putting that in after walls i think? 10mm is fine over that distance, it wouldn't even be noticed, but you could set the walls a few mill in/out to get back to square.
Aha. I’m now putting the floor down first. I’ve brought a waterproof membrane. Will cover in that, build walls and roof. Then I will cut it off the floor.

I wanted to fix some brackets in the corner, between joist and concrete block. It’s also having floor insulation. I think I need to square before the osb flooring goes in unless there’s something I can do temporarily with the osb boards to get these brackets fitted?

Also the 1cm difference is across a section that is 3.3m x 3m.
 
I just had to go look at what I used on shed base.
It's that green jute twine as its dont have any flex.
Well maybe a couple of mm but it worked for me.
 
I spy a box of 60mm screws. Are they the ones you have used to join the timbers? Seems a bit short to me.
LOL
God, have to be so careful with what is included in these pics. The 60mm screws are for the insulation battens. I used 100mm screws for joists.
 
Can I temporarily screw in one of my large OSB sheets along the 1200 side. I can then push/pull to screw in the longer side. At that point we are all square?

I can then fit the angle brackets in the 3 corners that are visible. At this point, I can remove the OSB board and fit the final bracket.

Building on @Charlie George earlier response. Please let me know your thoughts.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top