Basic: What electrical cable to link up two lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I just installed an LED Batten light in the garage (one of my best achievements!). The light can connect to another light of the same design.

I bought some cable from Screwfix today, but when I stripped it back, the actual wire inside was lots of little ones which I had to try to twist together to form a single bit of cabling. This wouldn't then go into the light as it wouldn't hold its shape.

What I need, is a standard 10m roll of cable, which when stripped back has just a single bit of wire inside that I can poke into the light.

I've been looking at these as options:

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/cable/cat8960001#category=cat8960001&cablelength=10_m

Could someone please tell me which is the most suitable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
EDIT: Actually, think I solved it as I can see some that say "Solid Core wire" rather than 27 strands per core that I bought

Typically you would use 1.0mm2 twin and earth cable.

Thanks sparkwright ... I was going to get the 1.5mm just as it's got to connect to two additional lights.

The current light does have an earth cable, however it is sleeved off and not connected. I believe due to the light being double insulated and a modern LED batten light.

Do you think I should definitely get a twin AND earth cable... or just a twin based on the fact that earth isn't even in use on the first part of the cabling?

Sponsored Links
I don't think they make solid core twin cable WITHOUT an earth wire anymore.

They do 2 core stranded flex without an earth.

Best use the twin and earth - you may need an earth connection in the future.

All earth wires should be joined together.

Any unused earth wires to be terminated together in a connector block if no earth terminal provided.

1.0 or 1.5 will do, if possible match the existing, but doesn't really matter usually.

Thanks sparkwright ... I was going to get the 1.5mm just as it's got to connect to two additional lights.
They are LED lights and use a TENTH of the current that traditional lights use.
1.0mm² Twin&earth cable will be plenty big enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back