Basics of high frequency flourecents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone point me in the direction of some info on the 'new' type of high frequency flourescent lights - are they better, do they start quicker, do they use the same tubes, do they use less energy, do the tubes last longer, is electronic start the same as high frequency, etc.???? I have to install lighting in a new small (22m2) machine shop.

Sponsored Links
Manorfarmer said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of some info on the 'new' type of high frequency flourescent lights -
We'll try our best!
are they better,
In many respects yes they are better than the normal flourescents. Less headaches owing to the 100 flashes per second from normal fluoros.
do they start quicker,
I don't notice much difference in starting times, you don't get the flashes like the ones with normal switch starters
do they use the same tubes
Yes, you also need to use the correct size tube for the fittings, some I have seen only use the slimline.
do they use less energy
I don't think theres much in it, if anything
do the tubes last longer
I think they last a little bit longer
is electronic start the same as high frequency,
No, they are completely different, electronic start being an electronic starter which its only purpose is to start the tube, you don't get the tube pulsing when starting up like you do with a normal switch start flourescent starter either.
I have to install lighting in a new small (22m2) machine shop.
Are you a qualified electrician?

HF flossys also have a certain amount of earth leakage which needs to be taken into account when designing the circuit ;)

Really? Never knew that!

I have HF florries in my kitchen. Much better (and expensive) than standard switch start.

Sponsored Links
Yeah can't remember the earth leakage figure but I did see somewhere that there is a limit to the number you can put on an RCD

Hang on, is there a difference between HF and electronic ballasts??? I always assumed they were the same!

We have funky twin fittings in our warehouse. When the switch is flicked, all 4 twins simultaneously "arc across" one tube, the ends glowing, then the glow extends across both tubes. It looks pretty funky. But you always know when the tubes will fully strike, 'cos its always the same, none of this random flickering from standard ballasts.

No. HF fittings are the ones with electronic ballasts in. (Like in your warehouse)

The other type mentioned was an electronic start fitting. This is a standard florry with a wirewound ballast and one of those translucent green starters in it.

The flicking you see on some fittings is a standard switch starter opening and closing its contacts until the tube strikes.

We have a mix of all 3 at work. on the shop floor, all the fittings are rather old LF 4-tube cassettes. Not been changed since it was turned into a shop in the 70's-80's! :eek: They make quite a noise when turned on. Under the stairs there is a twin tube 3-foot fitting suspended from the ceiling on conduit boxes (very old!) which flickers violently when turned on! All upstairs in the warehouse is newer fittings though.

Am I right in thinking "electronic start" fittings control the opening of the starter contacts so the filaments have chance to warm up before it tries to fire?

I don't think there are any contacts in the electronic ones, never paid much attention tbh.
The other type to confuse with is a capacitance start which used to be popular, they don't have starters - they have a double wound ballast and a capacitor to make them work. They don't work too well with slimline tubes.

The electronic starters do not have contacts in them.

They work using a power transistor and a few control components.

Crafty said:
We have funky twin fittings in our warehouse. When the switch is flicked, all 4 twins simultaneously "arc across" one tube, the ends glowing, then the glow extends across both tubes. It looks pretty funky. But you always know when the tubes will fully strike, 'cos its always the same, none of this random flickering from standard ballasts.

Hi Crafty,

We have the same type of fittings in the corridors of our newest block at work, all the corridor lighting is sensor controlled so its really cool when you start walking down a dark corridor, then one of the sensors picks you up and all the lights strike at the same time - very cool!

All the best
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back