Basin waste leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Can somebody give me advice on what I can do next.

I have bought and fitted a pop up basin waste in both of my bathroom sinks.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sprung-basin-waste/41691#

I originally bought them from Toolstation, but had issues with one of them and after replacing it once and spending hours trying to solve it I went and bought a replacement from screwfix.

You could tell the difference in the quality between the two and the most noticeable difference was at the very bottom where it is machined to allow it to create a seal with the trap.

I thought it would solve the problem, but it is still happening.

It is slightly leaking from where the waste connects to the trap and although it is not major I do need to stop it.

I have tried a couple of different s traps, one from Toolstation and one from BandQ and it is happening on both.

Should I buy a different type trap?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The plastic trap needs a thin rubber washer between it and the base of the pop up trap.....is it there?
You may need a small smear of silicone in there, but generally its not needed. The usual issue is actually a suspect seal between the pop up trap and the ceramic of the sink!
John :)

Hi Burnerman.

I have replaced the rubber washer a few times.

I thought that as the bottom of the waste is machined flat and not tapered it should seal flush to the top of the rubber washer, but the waste seems to be slightly bigger and the washer is sealing inside it.

I've never used these pop up wastes before, but i've used something similar, http://www.screwfix.com/p/captive-basin-waste/64920 and not had a problem.

I know about the problem between the waste and the sink and a plumber told me to always use a basin mate. I have always done that and not had a problem.

Cheers.

I'd like to see a quality plastic waste (MacAlpine maybe) which has a spigot within its manufacture which would slot inside your pop up thing - so that the rubber washer can't spread. If it can spread, you'll never get a good seal I reckon.

Sponsored Links
These pop up wastes look good and are very practical, but the wall of the main body doesn't seem to be thick enough to seal against the face of the washer, either that or the washer is to thin.

I think I'll get in touch with the manufacturer.

Do you think that a bit of silicone on top of the washer would be a long term solution?

Cheers.

You may actually find it best to do away with the washer and rely on the silicone alone, rather than have a washer that squishes out of the way......silicone can be permanent so be fairly generous, tighten it up by hand and see how it goes for a week or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back