Basin waste thread needs lowering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The height between the thread on my basin waste and the waste pipe outlet in the wall is approx 220mm, which seems a bit too high for most of the chrome height adjustable waste traps on the market.

So what components do I need that will give me a 32mm thread a couple inches lower than my current 32mm basin waste thread is at now?

Sponsored Links
can't you raise the waste pipe ?

No as it's in the wall and on 'show' so it needs a chrome bottle traps that goes straight into the wall.

I made a slight error when designing the bathroom in that I didn't measure exactly what height tolerance I had to play with between the basin waste out the waste outlet. I'm a couple inches too much.

Sponsored Links
is this a plasterboard stud wall ?

Yes...

The outlet pipe must go straight into the wall and have a cover plate. Having elbows there will look crap.

My thinking at the moment is to buy an el cheapo white telescopic trap. Remove the telescopic bit and attach to waste. Then put a 32mm compression coupler on it at the desired height. That should give me a lower 32mm thread that will accept the nut of a chrome bottle trap, correct?

The outlet pipe must go straight into the wall and have a cover plate. Having elbows there will look crap.

My thinking at the moment is to buy an el cheapo white telescopic trap. Remove the telescopic bit and attach to waste. Then put a 32mm compression coupler on it at the desired height. That should give me a lower 32mm thread that will accept the nut of a chrome bottle trap, correct?

and doing that won't :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

cut a peice out of the wall and raise the waste

easy enough to make good after :idea:

and doing that won't :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

cut a peice out of the wall and raise the waste

easy enough to make good after :idea:

Not a chance I can do that. Tiled and everything!

are you hoping to push the chrome waste through the hole in the wall into the pushfit ?

are you hoping to push the chrome waste through the hole in the wall into the pushfit ?

It depends on the bottle trap. Some are more like 40mm and slot over a 32mm pipe. Others will push straight into the 32mm elbow I have in the wall secured to a timber backplate. I've tested it before concealing and it works.

Connection into the wall isn't a problem, it's finding a trap with a height adjustment of upto 220mm or so.

long as you've tried it in the pushfit as some won't fit a pushfit.

this is a long shot but some it can be done.

will the long waste on yours go in place of the short telescopic part
and screw to the basin waste.

No because the telescopic parts always have flanged ends. The outlet pipes are just straight pipes.

as i said many can't be done cause of the basin connector flange.
only ever seen one thats interchangable.

can you not remove a couple of tiles then cut the plasterboard and alter the waste refit plasterboard and tiles.

thats the way i opt for may take longer but least once done its done properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back