Bat Surveys and Householder Applications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A question for those in the know, since roughly the beginning of this year the local authority’s within the vicinity where I work have introduced Local Validation Checklists's of which more or less determine that a Wildlife Survey (or a bat survey in layman’s) is required for any works effecting a roof ie loft conversion or extension that joins the roof. Have your own local authority's been introducing their own local validation lists and how has it affect you? Some authority’s validations lists are clearer than others with some citing any work on a roof to be the trigger whereas others citing that 'work on a complex roof' for example will trigger it, seemingly leaving it open to the planners interpretation. Obviously the implications of this is potentially hugely disruptive and adds another tier of bureaucracy to the homeowner who wants to convert their loft not to mention some potentially expensive surveys and almighty time delays if the beastly critters are found and a full survey is required.

There is clearly scope to disagree with a local authority’s validation list as this is not a national validation list and there a process to follow if you think it’s worth the fight but I wonder if there is any merit in pursuing that route? Or will it end in a pointless struggle requiring a survey anyway and just get the planners backs up?

And yes we can al say to clients to shimmy up into the loft with a hoover and do a crime scene style clean-up operation prior to a survey but that’s not really what I want to be recommending.

And whilst PD is not affected by this (yet) maybe it will be at some point …..

Your thoughts anyone?

Another gem I’ve had sprung on me lately is drawing a red line around each extension on a site (as well as a red line around the whole site) to identify where the development on a site is taking place to make life easier for the poor stupid people who determine your application and can’t read drawings.

Sponsored Links
most of this stuff is absolute *******s anyway.
A year or so ago I worked on a development that was an old industrial site, and was identified as a potential bat roost(I have no idea if there were any on site or not). Well part of the conditions were that we had to build bat boxes into the fabric of the buildings.
later on I was talking to a friend of mine who is an ecologist and knows about these sorts of thing and he said in all likelihood they were totally the wrong boxes as the ones we had used were suitable for woodland dwelling bats rather than the ones likely to be inhabiting urban industrial buildings.

We've had the bat survey one for a few years. It is a pain but as the local English Nature Bat Warden does them for free on residential properties it is a relatively minor inconvenience. Funnily enough I have never had one come back with evidence of bats.

The extra red lines is a new one, no doubt we will get that before long.

Funnily enough I have never had one come back with evidence of bats.
I've just had three surveys done in the last week or so, two have come back with bats meaning the obligatory survey between June-August crap. Interesting about your English Nature Bat warden.

Sponsored Links
Bump!

qiBrdbdi5.jpg

Only down this neck of the woods then?

It would seem that bats have got more sense than to stray north of the M4. It is a bit chilly up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back