bath door not opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got one of these door handles and whilst it moves up and down, it no longer engages the door latch. Hence, I can’t open the door. I unscrewed the handle from the outside and noticed that the "square bit" inside that swivels the latch back and forth has snapped and hence the spindle moves without engaging the latch. I saw remnants of the broken bits inside.
1690820321887.png

1690820340043.png

1690820357140.png

Apologies for the poor explanation but I am hoping someone, somewhere knows exactly what issue I have. The handle and spindle is from Howdens.

There are no issues with the privacy lock.

I would welcome any suggestions that you may have.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Assuming you can remove the spindle then do so and see if you can engage a small flat screwdriver either to the top or bottom of the latch barrel as there will often be small lugs that move the latch back and forth. If you can get it right the door latch should open. A torch may help to see what the internal layout is.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you can remove the spindle then do so and see if you can engage a small flat screwdriver either to the top or bottom of the latch barrel as there will often be small lugs that move the latch back and forth. If you can get it right the door latch should open. A torch may help to see what the internal layout is.
Spindle can’t be removed as it’s held by an Allen bolt on the handle (on other side). I’ve had a good poke around with a light and don’t see anything I can push/tug on.

That's unfortunate about the grub screw, the latch will appear something like this...
.... and the lugs are situated top and bottom as the image shows. Some are flat and some protrude so if you can manipulate something in over or under the barrel you may get lucky and engage enough of it to pull to the left.

I’ve had a good poke around and not having any success. I’ve also tried to yank the spindle out so I can see inside but there’s no sign of movement.

I’m at a loss with this….

You may have to use a 5mm chisel or a drilled hole to create a small space over the spindle and give access to the top of the barrel to access the lug that you can then try to move to the left. If you don't create too big a hole the rose will still cover it once replaced.

A thought, can I drill some holes or may be use my multi cutter to create a gap at the base of the door jamb? Around here perhaps

IMG_1859.jpeg

This will expose the latch and I can then slide a flat screwdriver to squeeze it back.

If this works, I can use some wood filler and paint to make this good again.

Failing above, hammer the spindle towards the inside, forcing handle off inside and freeing spindle? Then, put flat driver in hole and turn the catch?

Failing above, hammer the spindle towards the inside, forcing handle off inside and freeing spindle? Then, put flat driver in hole and turn the catch?
That would rip the handle off the other side and knacker the door. The flat driver won’t work as the ‘square bit’ inside the hole is broken. There’s nothing to grip and turn.

Wood chisel to remove door stop which give access to catch which can then be slid free.
It’s an integral door jam from what I can tell. Not a separate piece that has been added to the door frame.

That would rip the handle off the other side and knacker the door. The flat driver won’t work as the ‘square bit’ inside the hole is broken. There’s nothing to grip and turn.

Kick the door in then and prepare to repair!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back