bath door not opening

Sponsored Links
Have you tried turning the lock release to be horizontal

View attachment 309742
Thought you might be on to something here but I have the same lock on my other bath and it works in the same way. Upright is unlocked. However, I did move this around and I can feel the lock engaging when this is horizontal. This is not the issue here. It's the broken mechanism for the latch.

A thought, can I drill some holes or may be use my multi cutter to create a gap at the base of the door jamb? Around here perhaps

View attachment 309734

This will expose the latch and I can then slide a flat screwdriver to squeeze it back.

If this works, I can use some wood filler and paint to make this good again.
My youngest got stuck behind his bedroom door, same problem though the spindle would just turn and could come out, I knocked off the door stop and did as you have suggested, ie with a screwdriver but you'll have to get the wood filler out and cut a slot if it's not a seperate stop as you say.

My youngest got stuck behind his bedroom door, same problem though the spindle would just turn and could come out, I knocked off the door stop and did as you have suggested, ie with a screwdriver but you'll have to get the wood filler out and cut a slot if it's not a seperate stop as you say.
It may a bit ambitious but I thought if I can get some of the door stopper cut from the back (where it joins the door frame) and leave the top of the door stop intact, it will give me a gap to push something through and release the latch but will also be easy to fill as I don't have to worry about the top of the door stop. Not sure, it will provide enough clearance?

Sponsored Links
Creating series of holes might enable the bolt to be pushed back step by step

Drill first hole as far as the bolt, then push a rod ( nail ) into the hole to push the bolt partly into the door. Leave the nail in place.

Then repeat until the bolt is clear of the door frame.

Use the other bathroom door lock to get the measurements of where the first hole should be drilled

drill door.jpg

UPDATE: We have an open door!
I went with the approach I proposed above - informed by the suggestions I received.

1690913582943.png

1690913616586.png

Bit of filler and paint and you'll never know that it was ever there. The door is unscathed.

Now, can I please get some advice on what I need to replace and where I should get this from. Here are the bits I pulled out:

1690913722915.png

1690913745788.png

1690913771703.png

I look forward to your suggestions. Thanks again.

You'll have to pop to screwfix or B&Q or wherever and find one that fits ie same hole centres, catch size/distance from door edge to spindle etc, unless it has a manufacturers name or model or if you have an ironmongery place nearby that might be easier. I lucked out when mine went, turns out they were all bog standard screwfix ones, crap quality mind.

For next time, you may be able to make a card shim from a thin tupperware/polypropylene container and jig it around the stop to push the latch lever.

There is the lug i mentioned which if you had got just above the barrel with a thin flat driver you could have released it without the damage to the frame but you got there in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back