bath panel removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, The other day I heard the sound of running water, it seems to be coming from under the bath. No water outlets were in use at the time! I isolated my water supplies and reinstated one by one and have discovered that the leak is being supplied from the cold tank in the loft. Anyway, I have been unable to remove the side bath panel, I've unsrewed all screws from around the skirting under the panel but just can't seem to get a grip to get them off. I'm sure it's easy if you know where to pull. The bath was installed when I moved in so there are no clues.
Any advise would be appreciated, I may have to get some advice on curing the leak too, once I know exactly where it's coming from!

Cheers a lot,

Sponsored Links
If its a wooden bath panel, you could put a bigger screw into one of the empty fixing screw holes, so that it bites into the sides of the hole, and then pull on that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have said that the bath and the panels are acrylic, well the panels actually would appear to be perhaps hardboard? coated with acrylic. There's a small chip on the corner. I imagine that it clips in somehow, but I'm reluctant to set about it with tools just incase.
Thanks.

dont forget if its an old pannel there may be several layers of paint holding it in
also tiles may have been added to the wall and floor causing lips that will hold it in place

quite often if its hardboard it will rip before you can get the pannel off if this happens and you have maybe only two bits keep them and use them as a template

Sponsored Links
In situation like this I find you have to prioritise and be brave i.e. the leak needs fixing (what damage is it doing whilst not fixed) and set your mind that you need to fix a new bath panel. This frees you to have a serious attempt to remove the panel intact if possible (which would be an bonus) but does not prevent you from removing the panel because you don't want to break it. It has to come out. One thing you may want try are some hollow wall fixers. They have a metal piece with a threaded hole in it which is attached usually to a plastic tie. The idea is that the metal piece rotates so that you can put it in line (180 degrees) with the tie, push the metal piece into the hollow wall (bath panel) through the hole, then the metal piece springs back through 90 degrees preventing you pulling it back out. Put a couple of these through the holes and pull. They come in varying sizes right up to heavy duty.

Thanks all,
You're quite right bathjobby, Although I've cut off the leaks water supply, my priority really is fixing that. I shall throw caution to the wind and rip the flaming thing off with any tool that will do the job!!

Cheers.

lift the thing up and pull it out from the bottom.

Remember there was no floor covering when it was fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back