Bath / taps dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife fancies a double ended bath :D . The vast majority of these seem to, understandably, require that taps are placed in the centre of one side of the bath. However...

a) A couple of "experts" have advised against placing taps in this position because it is a nightmare for maintenance. This seems to make some sense in that access will be difficult. Agreed?

b) The alternative of putting the taps on a corner also seems to be frowned upon. Fair enough when there simply isn't room in that position. But the other argument is that water falls on the sloped wall of the bath rather than on its floor - what are the negatives of this?

Any comments / ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think you just have to take your chances.

I have just fitted a double ended bath with centre mounted taps. People say how will you change them if there is a problem, but I've not had a problem with the old stuff that has been here in the 2 years I've lived here.

If I did, I'd try my best to access from under the bath, at worst it comes out - not the end of the world.

Best thing is to use long flexys (should be able to get 900mm) from taps then you can connect onto pipework from the side (where it would normally be for end mounted taps).

At worst you could get a leak on the tap connector, but use of jointing compound is belt & braces. The rest is accessible from the side.

My local merchant only had 500mm flexys when I did mine which means I've got one other joint out of reach, but as I say I made usre I used compound and left all joints for days checking for leaks before finally re-fitting.

Final note on access, you could always mount the bath so that the taps are on the other side (i..e not up against the wall). Maybe not as aesthetically pleasing but at least you have easy access by removing bath panel.

HTH.

OK, thanks for the tips. If we go that route I will suggest flexys when fitted. We did contemplate mounting taps on accessible side but we want to use a mixer and mount showerhead at head height.

Also any thoughts of the implications of corner-mounted taps - i.e. why water falling against the side of the bath, rather than its floor, could be an issue?

Not sure on that one really, maybe not frotthing up bubble bath!!??

Plus, depending on what you choose not all baths have a corner to mount them on, ours doesn't.

As far as maintaining pipework is concerned, use as long a flexys as you can get and connect to exisiting pipework that fed old taps.

It's only a problem if tap breaks and needs to be removed, or you change your mind!!

Sponsored Links
PILLAR MOUNT TAPS HERE (many other available, it's just an example)

That way when the tap breaks or better half takes a dislike you just undo two nuts to remove it from above :D

It seems more and more manufacturers are heading down this path - it's pretty standard in Europe AND it allows them to use wallmount gear on a stock bath ;)

I have a LIDL :oops: wallmount bath filler mounted exactly like this. Looks pretty good quality and cost a princely £20 plus £5 for the pillars which were a bit of a result from the local merchant :D

Thanks for further input folks.

Never thought of the bubble-bath issue! But fair point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back