Bathroom Ceiling - how to prepare and what paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a small bathroom ceiling I would like to paint. Its about 4m x3m. Currently the finish was plaster and that was painted on top with matt pain which has discoloured a bit - there are some light blackish swirls (could be mildew) and some cracks in the paint.

What is the proper way to prepare this? How do you get rid of cracks in the paint?

Sponsored Links
Fungicide wash or diluted bleach mixture to kill off the mould spores, rinse, and then use an acrylic eggshell to paint. One with a specific mould protection is best or a bathroom paint with mouldshield is next best.

Thanks again Mr Helpful.

Would Dulux Bathroom+ Soft Sheen Magnolia 2.5L be the correct type of paint for the bathroom? As the bathroom is small I don't mind spending a bit more on the paint as I won't need much.

The paint I use in the hallway Can I use that again in the kitchen? (thanks mr helpful again on helping on the other thread) I am going to use Armstead trade matt but am I correct in thinking that in the kitchen you should use a paint with a higher sheen such as eggshell or silk.

I would like to use the same colour in the hallway and Kitchen so could I buy an eggshell finish and apply to both rooms. The kitchen is well lit and ventilated with 3 windows, extractor hood. The hallways is a bit dark and has some dark areas.

The fact that you have mold and cracks suggests that the ventilation in the bathroom is insufficient.

Waterbased eggshell would be fine otherwise and is perfectly ok to use elsewhere in your home.

If you are unable to replace the bathroom fan then I would recommend oil based eggshell on the ceiling. Waterbased eggshell becomes soft when there is a lot of steam.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for the delay in replying...busy, busy, busy!

As opps has said, you can use the eggshell anywhere and, being far more hard-wearing, is ideal for busy traffic areas like halls.
Also, the Bathroom+ is usually fine for most bathrooms, - it is effectively a thinner version of the acrylic eggshell and contains a fungicide - but can still suffer the same issues if ventilation is poor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back