bathroom extractor fan. enquiry.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive bought a xpelair dx100t 4" fan for the bathroom ceiling . i know that regulations state a qualified electrician should do this work.
its not a like for like swap ,it would be from scratch. what should i expect to pay for this ?
also i have eaves that are difficult to get to, so i would run ducting to the old boiler flue which is not used anymore. as its high up going to the roof of the loft , is it essensial i have some condensation trap to stop back flow ? and is this all common knowledge for electricians ?
many thanks in advance for replies. :)

Sponsored Links
ive bought a xpelair dx100t 4" fan for the bathroom ceiling . i know that regulations state a qualified electrician should do this work.
Actually anybody competent may do it, but it might be notifiable - depends where in the room it is. If it's not in a Zone //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:bathroom-zones it's not notifiable.

Is the circuit RCD protected?

its not a like for like swap ,it would be from scratch. what should i expect to pay for this ?
You need to get people to quote - there are too may variables of things like access, existing circuit condition etc that could have a significant effect on the price of a small job like this.

is it essensial i have some condensation trap to stop back flow ?
Yes.

and is this all common knowledge for electricians ?
No.

[EDIT]Missing[Wiki] tags added[/EDIT]

Although it should be, if the guy is worth his sodium chloride.

thanks chaps, i know these generalisation questions aint the easiest to answer. ive been told to expect to pay around £200 plus.
the reason i was enquiring was that when i fitted the bathroom (with gas shower) i did some research and found thatwith a wide opening window ,which i have ,it would be okay to run the shower without a extractor as long as the window was open. but with condensation getting obvious in my loft (hatch in bathroom dont help) i feel a fan might be of use .
thanks all.

Sponsored Links
yep, hole with board, but i did fix hook and eyes to try and keep it tight?

First question before fitting an extractor fan or even a non condensing tumble drier must be have you any open flue fires?

Open flue means it draws combustion air from the room i.e. not a balanced flue.

With an open flue you need heat recovery
mechanical-heat-recovery-system.jpg
or positive pressure i.e. pump air into the house not drag air out. Other wise you can pull flue gases into the house even if the fan and fire are not in the same room.

yep, hole with board, but i did fix hook and eyes to try and keep it tight?

I would consider putting a hinge on it, weighting it slightly from above and weather stripping or similar around the edge, this may keep a considerable amount of moisture out.

okay, ill try securing the loft hatch better as first port of call.
brilliant forums,thanks all for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back