Bathroom Extractor Fan Incorrectly Wired ?

Sponsored Links
So are you saying that I shouldn't really have a florrie fitted in the bathroom, even if I fit a sealed unit ? I know it's only personal preference in my case but I really do like that sort of light in that area.
I believe you can get ATEX rated fluorescents, so I'm sure you can get ones suitable for a bathroom. I was going to say "dunno what they'd look like", but then compared to that rusting bit of tin you currently have.... :confused:

But is that now another story a mains fan above the bath and you are going to now fit a switch in that cable drop which also looks above the bath

Hmmm, now you've got my attention. Any takers ?
If it is directly above the bath, i.e. in Zone 1, then unless it can't be reasonably located elsewhere, and is on a 30mA RCD, it's against the wiring regs to have it there. And you can't have the switch in the existing cable run unless the ceiling is over 3m high and you can get it outside the zones...

Sponsored Links
Can you post a few more pictures of the room so we can a better feel of where things are?

Sorry Bigzed, was hoping someone picked up on it earlier.

Nps rocky, thanks anyway. I realise that I need to find out a lot of stuff before I actually take the job on of changing out the CU and assorted wiring around the house. I want to do this right, so I've got plenty of patience.

Best thing is, even though the house is still a bit of a tip from the staircase renewal, our lass realises I'm doing all this for our own safety, so she isn't moaning :)

If it is directly above the bath, i.e. in Zone 1, then unless it can't be reasonably located elsewhere, and is on a 30mA RCD, it's against the wiring regs to have it there. And you can't have the switch in the existing cable run unless the ceiling is over 3m high and you can get it outside the zones...

Well, the reasonably located elsewhere part I've got covered, coz the other side of the window houses the Multipoint and the other walls back onto the next door neighbours house & my Shed, so no available outlet point there. However, the ceiling is only 8', so no switch. :( Does this also apply to fitting the switch in the wall, not the ceiling ?

I could always chase the wall to another area & fit the switch there. Could anyone point out a suitable area on this piccie where I could install the switch please ? :-

bathroom.jpg

Alternatively, is there anything I can do with the existing wiring to the pull-switch to bring it up to spec. ? I don't really want to prat with the ceiling but if I must, I will

search site for a bathroom zone plan, possibly in the wiki at top of page

certain Ip ratings are allowed for each zone.

This will cover the fan ,light and the switch

Its a bit daunting ,
But you will see the zone changes above a certain height 2.25 metres

Also Worth looking at selv fans these are 12 volt, but you may need somewhere to locate the transformer,that may get round the rcd and switch for you, and also safer near the bath.

That fan is in Zone 2, and fans are allowed there - they don't have to be SELV. (601-09-03 iii).

And on that wall above 2.25m from the floor is Zone 3, so as long as it's not going to get splashed you can put a fan isolator there.

I don't really want to prat with the ceiling but if I must, I will
Which way do the joists run?

That fan is in Zone 2, and fans are allowed there - they don't have to be SELV. (601-09-03 iii).

I looked at the zone pictures late last night and I was going to ask this morning if that was the case. One bit of good news anyway.

And on that wall above 2.25m from the floor is Zone 3, so as long as it's not going to get splashed you can put a fan isolator there.

The Ceiling is only 2.25M :( Another place for the switch needs to be found then.

Which way do the joists run?

They take the short route on the extension, perpendicular to the windows. About 16" on centre I believe.

Zone 1 is from floor to 2.25m when directly above bath/shower basin.

strange thing is no account is taken of bath/basin bottom height from floor - so if you mount the bath on a plynth ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back