Bathroom extractor fan not working

What is the terminal block ?
The connector with the black and other blue wires.

Im not an electrician so terminology is beyond me and would that be the case if all the lights in the bathroom and hall are working fine ?
If the switch in question only operates the fan, then yes.

Having just read your latest post we can only say that you need an electrician who knows what he is doing.

Sponsored Links
Ok lol.
The guy I had out this morning, I'm guessing, knew less than me.
Just one last thing. If the old switch had a port for neutral which I'm sure it did but this new switch didn't then could it be the switch thats at fault ?

You have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible.

Plan b it is then but I'm gonna check out the links as I find thia topic interesting.
Thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
If the old switch had a port for neutral which I'm sure it did but this new switch didn't then could it be the switch thats at fault ?
Just to point out that -

some switches do have a terminal for the neutral wires but it is just a parking place with no connection to the switch working.

Having only one wire in this neutral terminal would do nothing and affect nothing else.

I would expect the red to the bathroom light and the yellow to the fan to be in the same terminal.

Thanks for the extra pics, having studied them the switch wiring looks ok apart from one cable being in the wrong connection, as mentioned by sparkwright. Please be advised that this is pure guess work on my part and i echo the comments that you are best calling in an electrician to safely resolve the issue and tidy up the messy switch wiring. Out of interest are you able to take a picture of the wiring connections on the fan itself? Even with the cable in the wrong place i would expect the fan to come on when you switch off the bathroom lights so there may be an issue with the fan wiring too.

Just to point out that -

some switches do have a terminal for the neutral wires but it is just a parking place with no connection to the switch working.

Having only one wire in this neutral terminal would do nothing and affect nothing else.

Unless it's a DP switch

nice to see the cables have been tagged, good electrician ?. I think not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back