Bathroom extractor Fan.... Should it run continuously when light is On ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As subject titles say, should the extractor fan continuously run whilst light is left ON.... could there be a risk of it overheating and maybe cause a fire ?

The top floor flat had new bathroom fitted with a new extractor fan, which vents through the ceiling and into the loft space, Tenant has habit of leaving bathroom light on all night.

The fan operates via the light switch.... I can actually hear the click of the light switch pull cord and hear the fan turn on.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Depends how it is wired but completely normal. Make sure someone (you, tenant, maintenance co) has 3 monthly clean fan on their jobs list

Thanks for prompt response.

No idea how it’s wired and nothing to with me other than my concern about it being left on all night and overheating; also the constant hum when it’s on.

I would have thought, extractor fans would have some kind of cut off timer, even when the light remained on.

Sponsored Links
extractor fan, which vents through the ceiling and into the loft space

How do you know it does that? Are you sure? There should be a duct to take the warm, moist air outside the building through the wall, roof or eaves.

You can get fans with built-in humidistats or overrun timers or thermostats or wired to any sort of external device- but they're more expensive than basic fans, humidistats don't work that well in this country, timer is something else to go wrong & v annoying when you go to the loo at 3am and the fan whirrs on for another half an hour. If the tenant is paying leccie bill keep it simple- do check it is ducted as above and do clean it (and duct) regularly to combat fluff/gunge build-up

the fan whirrs on

A modern fan with a ball-bearing motor can be practically inaudible. If you close the door, totally inaudible.

The cost of electricity for an 8W fan is negligible. You could run it continuously for 8 hours for less than 1 penny.

It’s an Housing Association property and I was shown the new bathroom in the flat above before the flat was let.

I’ve not had a new bathroom fitted yet, only the vacant properties have.

The fan is fitted into the ceiling and all that’s above that flat is roof space.

When the fan is left on through-out the night, I can hear it “whirring” in my bedroom with both my bathroom & bedroom doors shut.

A fire due to it overheating and the gallons of water used to extinguished a fire is my main concern, especially as my flat is below.

how do you know there is not a duct in the roof space?

how do you know there is not a duct in the roof space?

I don’t, I just assumed because the fan is fitted into the ceiling, I didn’t give it much thought.

I’ve never been into the roof space and don’t intend to.

My concern was the risk of fire, due to it overheating after being left on though-out the night.

they don't catch fire. They are often left on for long periods.

if it was fitted by a competent person, it will have a duct blowing the steamy air outdors. The airflow will keep its heat moderate, but even when jammed, I have not known one overheat. I can't say it's impossible, of course.

i have somewhat similar fans fitted in my computer towers, which run continuously for years on end.

If/when your own bathroom is fitted, have a look at the make (and model, if you can see it).

If you are REALLY concerned (you shouldn’t be) then have the manual switch changed for a PIR motion detector.
then the light(and the fan) will only come on when someone enters the room and will stay on for a few minutes after they leave.
The disadvantage is that , if the tenant likes to sit still on the dunny/in the bath for a few minutes then he/she will be plunged into darkness until they wave their arms around.

Fans do not generally overheat, they are designed to run for extended periods.
They all have an overheat cutout in the motor so in the unlikely event the fan was jammed or clogged with dirt and the motor did overheat, power is cut off.

The real problem is that you can hear a clicking light switch in someone else's flat - that should be impossible. Suggests the building construction is substandard, and if sound can get through that easily, so can fire.

The real problem is that you can hear a clicking light switch in someone else's flat - that should be impossible. Suggests the building construction is substandard, and if sound can get through that easily, so can fire.

Yeah, I can even hear the neighbours urinate into the pan, certainly not pleasant.

My only concern was the overheating due to length of time the new tenant is leaving the light & fan on.

Can hear it whirling/humming during the early hours.

Otherwise, I have no say, so a PIR wont be fitted.

Prior to the new bathroom fitting, extractor fans weren’t fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back