Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved in and our bathroom extractor fans do not work. Am I right to assume they should come on with the light switch? Is it a straight forward replace and refit job?

First time user. If you need more info please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Some do come on with light, some don't depends if they have been wired to do that.
Have you got an isolator anywhere for the fan?
If you take fan cover off (isolate first) is there a three core and earth terminated?

It should come on with the lights but its not uncommon to have a separate switch.
Often if its a timer fan, there should be a isolater switch somewhere local.
If there is a 3 core cable at it will probably be a run on timer fan, if its just a 2 core cable then it should have a switch somewhere unless its looped off the light.
Like for like replacement is pretty straight forward if you can identify what type of fan you have, it could be a standard on/off, run on timer or even a humidistat type.
Opening the cover (with power off) should give you an idea of what type it is.
I'd check to see if you definately have power there first to ensure the fan is definately at fault.

Sponsored Links
Also the fan may have a slow blow fuse linked in after the PCB, if this has failed that could be a couple of pennies to repair.
If the fan is at fault, before you buy new calculate the room size and make sure you get an adequate sized replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back