Bathroom fan permanently on

Sponsored Links
.... to the op .... I know Vent Axia have a few extractors that run permanently ("trickle") and whose overrun timers control a variable speed boost. Not one of those is it ? Just checkin' .....

.... to the op .... I know Vent Axia have a few extractors that run permanently ("trickle") and whose overrun timers control a variable speed boost. Not one of those is it ? Just checkin' .....
Thanks again, it's a Vent Axia vasf 100b, much quieter than old unit. Maybe some distorsion, so I'll check that too.
Not a timer model, nor it appears to have a trickle mode but seems to have a two speed arrangement set at the installation.

Sponsored Links
What if I disconnect the permanent live and make that safe? So it just runs with neutral and switched live? It's on the light circuit remember for the bathroom.

Wires now identified, so grey neutral, brown live, and black switched live. Used multimeter, and bridged earth to each wire in turn reading volts after putting all onto a block connector. Good advice thanks and makes sense!

I'd have thought that it would have switched off after 5 mins, but can't find anywhere that says it will. Not drawing much power at about 4W, but can't imagine how long it would last permantly on.

Scratch that, it doesn't run without the permanent live, will see if I can swop for a timed version.

You need to connect the switched live conductor to BOTH L and SL terminals.

It's quite logical.

It needs power to the L to 'go' and power to the SL to switch it on.
You will just be doing both at the same time.

Scratch that, it doesn't run without the permanent live, will see if I can swop for a timed version.
Given that it's apparently not a timer model, it should run with a neutral and switched live when the switched live is live (i.e. switched on!) - that's how non-timer fans work.

Kind Regards, John

You need to connect the switched live conductor to BOTH L and SL terminals. It's quite logical.
Have I missed something? I though we'd decided that it was a non-timer model, in which case it surely would not have/need a permanent live? What have I missed?

Kind Regards, John

You need to connect the switched live conductor to BOTH L and SL terminals.

It's quite logical.

It needs power to the L to 'go' and power to the SL to switch it on.
You will just be doing both at the same time.

So to be clear, blank off the permanent live, then branch the switched lived to both live and switched live connector. That will then only run the fan when the switch is on?

Cheers for the first reply!

You need to connect the switched live conductor to BOTH L and SL terminals. It's quite logical.
Have I missed something? I though we'd decided that it was a non-timer model, in which case it surely would not have/need a permanent live? What have I missed?

Kind Regards, John
Oh sorry, when it was said it wouldn't work with just the switched live, I reverted to timer mode.

Oh sorry, when it was said it wouldn't work with just the switched live, I reverted to timer mode.
I'm actually rather confused, and can understand your having 'reverted to timer mode', since the OP is still talking about 'live and switched live connections', even though he's also talking about trying to swap it for a timer model.

Kind Regards, John

Guys.

He has a vasf 100b. This is a NON TIMER fan.
This fan has three terminals

A neutral and one terminal for low and another for high speed operation.

Instructions:

SILENT FAN – VASF100B (IMPORTANT- LEAVE MOTOR WIRE IN TERMINAL 3)
1) Low speed: Ensure the motor wire is connected to terminal number 1.
Connect N and L (Fig.2).
2) High speed: Connect motor wire to terminal number 2.
Connect N and L (Fig.2).

If he wants a timer fan he needs to get a vasf 100T. This also has a high and low speed option but also a switched live connection.

Instructions
SILENT FAN – VASF100T (WITH TIMER) (IMPORTANT- LEAVE MOTOR WIRE IN TERMINAL 3)
1) Low speed: Ensure the motor wire is connected to terminal number 1 and
connect N, L & LS (Fig.3).
2) High speed: Move the motor wire to terminal number 2 and connect N, L &
LS (Fig.3).

Pauldalgarno. What do you plan to do. Keep the one you have (no run-on timer) or get a timer one??

He has a vasf 100b. This is a NON TIMER fan.
Yes, that was my understanding from the posts above - which, as I said, is why I was confused that the OP was still talking about 'live' and 'switched live' connections. However, having looked at the instructions, I think I now understand teh confusion...
This fan has three terminals ... A neutral and one terminal for low and another for high speed operation.
As you will be aware, it's a bit more complicated than that - assuming that the 100b and 100t have essentially the same layout, there are actually seven terminals in total. The main connector block has four terminals - N, L, S/L (not used, but I presume present, on non-timer model) and 'MN' (which I suspect is 'motor neutral'). There is then a separate block with three terminals ('1', '2' & '3') to which one connects the trailing 'motor L' wire (and adds a link for low speed, with the non-timer model) to determine speed.

I think it was probably the presence of an unused S/L terminal on the non-timer model that was getting me (and probably the OP) confused.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back