Bathroom light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I wonder if anyone can help.

I have a problem with my bathroom light which has been fine for the last 4 years.

the lightswitch is located outside of the room (important or not?). When switched on the light activates as does the fan as they are on the same circuit.

Most recently when the lightswitch is switched on, the light switched on the light flicks on and off instantly. It can do this multiple times but then randomly stays on. It’s very random and some days fine, others not. I may have to switch the lightswitch 1, 10, 20 times. I may not get any joy and have to leave the switch on but the light off, since it won’t go on.

the fan is fine and always stays on with the switch.

I have a butterfly light bulb and fitting in the centre of the room. The bathroom gets very steamy during baths, showers and we have a high ceiling.

my guess is it’s either a loose connection that’s happened over time, or perhaps the humidity is becoming a problem.

it’s mot the bulb as I have changed this to a new one but still get the same issues.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1F0F51D9-EB7B-4EE2-903A-8DD43A591146.jpeg
    1F0F51D9-EB7B-4EE2-903A-8DD43A591146.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 275
  • C6EF5682-A1E3-4265-AE72-915962F7768F.jpeg
    C6EF5682-A1E3-4265-AE72-915962F7768F.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 271
Sponsored Links
It’s one of those things that need someone on site to investigate. Could be the lamp holder or a loose connection for instance.

Is that a 2d light fitting, also have you had the same switch all the time. I am not sure what rating or make the switch is that you have but some after a while especially budget manufactured can struggle to switch the load on any fluorescent type lamp. The problem you have is typical of this.

Sponsored Links
Is that a 2d light fitting, also have you had the same switch all the time. I am not sure what rating or make the switch is that you have but some after a while especially budget manufactured can struggle to switch the load on any fluorescent type lamp. The problem you have is typical of this.

thanks, yes it’s a 2d light fitting and yes We’ve had the switch as long as the light fitting. I’ll investigate. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back