Bathroom light replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5EC44B51-77A4-459D-8C80-F82ED41CD472.jpeg
Hello

I just started to replace my bathroom light as the final bulb of three has blown and they don’t seem to stock the bulbs anywhere. I’ve taken the fitting off and I’m perplexed at what I’ve found..

One black, one blue we’re going into one of the holes. Two blue one grey in the other.

How on Earth I would begin to wire the new light I have no idea. I thought I’ll hold off til I do some research. Now none of the lights in the flat work after turning the fuse box switch back on - guessing this is some safety feature because of the detached light fitting..

Any help greatly appreciated. Considering getting an electrician in right now but hoping I can DIY!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I’m now assuming the amount of wires has something to do with extractor fan at least..

Now none of the lights in the flat work after turning the fuse box switch back on - guessing this is some safety feature because of the detached light fitting..
It's because you have disconnected the wires. You now have live wires hanging out of the ceiling.
It is not safe.

Probable that the two blue and grey are neutrals, with the grey being for the fan
the black and blue switched line, with black being the fan and blue from the light switch.
They should have coloured sleeving over them for identification.

Any new light is connected in exactly the same way that the old one was.

Sponsored Links
Three, or maybe only 2, of the wires might be for the fan.
There will be other wires there that do other useful things - including providing power to the other lights in your flat.

You need to do this:
1. Buy a head torch so you can find the door when Deliveroo come with your supper tonight.
2. Call an electrician. Ignore his sniggering when he arrives. It’ll take about 10 minutes to fix but he/she will have a minimum charge if at least 2 hours
3. Next time take a photo of any and all connections before you disconnect any wires.

Sorry. You aren’t alone. There’s at least one of these every day…

Life Pro tip: next time ask here where to get replacement lamps for the existing fitting rather than ripping the old fitting down and leaving it in a dangerous condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back