Bathroom light replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Any help with this please? An elderly uncle wants me to replace his bathroom light and has sent me this pic of the old one up there now. Not seen that kind before to be honest. I'm assuming that once unscrewed it will reveal the usual twin and earth going into it?

Attachments

• 20230926_093046.jpg
    20230926_093046.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
That's just a Led bog standard bathroom light....and yes wiring "Should" be straight forward

Well yes it SHOULD be straightforward but I think I see an earth wire and black with red sleeve into the fitting and a red into a connector.

Sponsored Links
I expect there's other stuff above the light that may need attention...... But, in general, a simple swop.

Meaning? .... ( just want to be prepared)
The basic connection to the light itself will just be three wires:live, neutral and earth. But also, there may be another several more wires, possibly tucked up in the ceiling above the light. These often need attention as (very often) they are not terminated correctly.
So be prepared..... yes, be prepared for the job not to be quite as simple as it looks, but that's life, isn't it?

I suspect you'll be in for a surprise, no neutral and a live terminated in a wago, did the switch also serve a fan?

Blup

Well yes it SHOULD be straightforward but I think I see an earth wire and black with red sleeve into the fitting and a red into a connector.

Meaning? .... ( just want to be prepared)
I suspect you'll be in for a surprise, no neutral and a live terminated in a wago, did the switch also serve a fan?

Blup
The way I see this is it appears to not currently be in a working situation.

We both believe there is no neutral wire showing...

However now looking at it on a different computer I see a different story.

I believe I see, from top to bottom of the white connector: black with red sleeve = switched live, Earth, wire in heat resistant sleeve = presume black neutral and in the Wago = possibly 2 red wires
1695855162774.png
So yes looking a lot more straightforward than I thought.

Maybe its a massive bodge, the red wire(s) in the wago are unused terminated earths, switched live is live, yellow sleeving is neutral. An example of how its all copper wire whatever the insulation colours.

Or somebody's already had a go and wont fess up.

If the OP is still around he can confirm its still working.

Blup

Isolate and remove light fitting and post some pics

Blup

Hi guys, firstly, the light in question had actually been working, but stopped a couple of weeks ago, also, it was not attached to a fan. So anyway I went there today, took the cover down and there were two sets of twins &earth going into it. Looking into the ceiling, one twin & earth cable was going one way and the other was going in the opposite direction- towards another light outside of the bathroom, that had "not been working for years". There was obviously an issue there and as a handyman not a tradesman, I put the cover back, gave my Uncle the number of a local spark and left it at that. If would have been a single twin&earth going into it I would have noted the wiring and replaced like for like.

Hi guys, firstly, the light in question had actually been working, but stopped a couple of weeks ago, also, it was not attached to a fan. So anyway I went there today, took the cover down and there were two sets of twins &earth going into it. Looking into the ceiling, one twin & earth cable was going one way and the other was going in the opposite direction- towards another light outside of the bathroom, that had "not been working for years". There was obviously an issue there and as a handyman not a tradesman, I put the cover back, gave my Uncle the number of a local spark and left it at that. If would have been a single twin&earth going into it I would have noted the wiring and replaced like for like.
Thank you for the update and understanding your level of comfort/confidence.

As a matter of interest did it appear to resemble my diagram from Wednesday?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back