Bathroom light safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just bought a metal cased bathroom light designed to be mounted over a mirror above the wash hand basin.

It will be mounted >0.6m from the taps placing it in zone 3 and it will be earthed but I am still concerned about the safety aspect. The switch on the bottom is a rocker switch on the underside and could be operated by a person who has their other hand in a sink of water. Is it not risky to have live current so close to the wet fingers of someone who is potentially a really good earth?

Sponsored Links
it is the bath/shower that dictate the zones not a hand basin.
A hand basin in a bathroom or a sink in a kitchen does not create any zones.
Of course possible splashing etc. has to be accounted for wherever it occurs

Sponsored Links
We just bought a metal cased bathroom light designed to be mounted over a mirror above the wash hand basin.
How do you know for certain that it is designed for that location ?
The switch on the bottom is a rocker switch on the underside
A rocker switch ( unless IP65 or better) suggests it was not properly designed for that location. A switch operated by a pull cord would be more appropriate for that location

The staff in litecraft said it was designed for bathroom use and a check of the internet suggested zone 3 can contain any sort of light. The light itself is marked IP21 which appears to mean it is designed to offer the minimum protection against dripping water.

I said >600mm. In reality it will likely be around 800m from the taps but has to stay reachable. My main concern isnt really splashing its what could happen when a person uses the switch.

As electricians would you install an IP21 light with a rocker switch .8m above the taps if a customer asked you to?

As an engineer I would not install IP2X in many domestic situations as that allows for 12.5 mm objects to enter the item. A small finger for example.

I would never install IPx1 in a room where water could be splashed as IPx1 is only protection from water falling as drips from directly above the item.

I'm not going to take risks with it. Thanks for your responses

So why are you mounting it above the taps? what are you trying to achieve? And no its not a safe idea, its a daft idea.
I don't really understand this question/comment. It sounds as if the op intends to mount it in exactly the way its designed to be mounted ('above the taps' IS 'over a mirror above the WHB') - (s)he merely told us how far above the taps the light would then be.

Have I missed something?

Kind Regards, John.

It will be mounted >0.6m from the taps
"It" being the light, he wants to mount 0.6 above the taps, not the mirror.So that would put the light about 1500 above ffl, perhaps he was a dwarf.
You have quoted the op correctly. Do you understand what the symbol ">" means?

The op presumably thought that there might be a problem if the light was less than (for which the symbol is "<", by the way) 600mm above the taps, and was therefore pointing out to us that this was not the case.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back