Bathroom lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im changing a light fitting for my mother in law in her bathroom, She has bought a chanderler type, 3 arms in crome, with the centre fixing directly to the ceiling not on a cord, It isnt over but is about 2 foot away from a open shower cubicle and about 4-5 feet away from the shower head,

Is this type of light suitable for a bathroom? I was a little taken a back when i saw it, Id expected something more bathroom like spotlights etc

Help would be appreciated to put my mind at rest as Im going round to fit it tomorrow morning

Andy

Sponsored Links
Does it say that it is suitable for use in a bathroom or shower room on the box?

is about 2 foot away from a open shower cubicle
will any part of the light be within 0.6 metres of the edge of the shower basin,projected upwards, if so it needs to be marked suitable for zone 2

Sponsored Links
Hi, no bath just large walk in shower and basin, I would expect that the shower tray projected upwards will be closer than 0.6M to the closest point of the light.

What Zone lighting would be required in this case, If its further than .6M away can i use any lighting?

What Zone lighting would be required in this case, If its further than .6M away can i use any lighting?
zone 2 is 600mm from the tray
Zone3 extends a further 2400mm from that up to2250 from floor
Not sure what lights are suitable for zone 3

Thanks, Am i write in thinking that no lights are allowd within zone 1?

Does it make a difference with regrds zone 2 if the lights are positioned above 2.4 metres? its a victorian terrace with high ceilings.

Thanks, Am i write in thinking that no lights are allowd within zone 1?

Does it make a difference with regrds zone 2 if the lights are positioned above 2.4 metres? its a victorian terrace with high ceilings.

The 2.4 met (zone 3) is horizontally further from the 600mm (zone 2)
The height of zone 3 is 2.25 met then it is outside zones
The height of zone 2 is vertically 2.25 met, then between that 2.25met and 3met it is zone 3

There is zone 1 lights
Zone 1 is in the shower up to height of 2.25 met then from 2.25 to 3 met becomes zone 2

Try the wiki for a zone diagram it will be easier to follow

Different zones need different IP rating fittings

Is there a BATH in the bathroom

:?:

Does that matter? A fixed bath or shower, surely?

IMO, best using an enclosed fitting, as even if you are outside the zones, chances are this fitting will not be rated against the effects of moisture & may tarnish or corrode.

Sorry. I wasn't thinking there may well be both in the room... :oops:

Sorry. I wasn't thinking there may well be both in the room... :oops:
Thats ok
The fact op said bathroom made me wonder:cool:
Securespark
If you have time Could you post him a link to a zone plan please as I do not know how,
and It is hard to explain
Thanks

Thanks for all the help, thats cleared quite a lot up, just 2 more questions,

1. Does the zone 2 start at the edge of the shower tray? and finish 60cm away? after that its zone 3 and therefor I can use any fitting provided it doesnt say not for bathrooms on the side?

2. If the lowest point of the light is higher than 2.25m in the zone 2 area it is therefor now zone 3 and again I can use lighting suitable for zone 3?

Thanks

Andy

Yes , you appear right with your description of where zone 3 is

Zone 1 is where you may be very wet

Basically zone 2 is an area you can reach when in zone 1

Zone 3 is an area most people cannot reach when in zone 1
but still may be subject to damp etc and still slightly hazordous

As for a zone 3 light google and look at the options
Afaik lights suitable have to now be packaged suitable for zone 3

ANY light can be fitted ONLY outside of all zones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back