Bathroom lights and extractor fan

Everything should be sleeved at each end to indicate its function, according to whatever colour code is being used.

I hadn't spotted this, as it came in while I was doing my previous reply:

Red (perm live - now brown)
Blue (switched live - now grey)
Solid yellow (neutral - now black)
Yellow & Green (earth)
Black is no longer the colour for neutral, it's one of the phase colours (was yellow/L2), so using it will not indicate that that conductor is neutral - you must not mix'n'match - either stick to Red/Yellow/Blue/Black or Brown/Black/Grey/Blue, but not a made-up hybrid.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Sorry my mistake, the solid yellow colour is now black (post March 2004) but not neutral, my mistake. I believe that the old blue is now grey (switched live?).

So will it work as per my diagram above?? Trouble is I havent got a spare 4 terminal JB...

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
Thinking about it, looking at this photo here, it looks like whoever wired the fan in has used the yellow cable (black nowadays) as the switched live and blue cable going to the other blue cable (neutral?).

IMG_0005.jpg

What do you think?

Regards
Matt

matty25 wrote
whoever wired the fan in has used the yellow cable (black nowadays) as the switched live and blue cable going to the other blue cable (neutral?)
this is perfectly normal and expected you are confusing the new phase harmonised colours with the old ones

the use of an old 3core&earth cable in this situation is the norm

Trouble is I havent got a spare 4 terminal JB..

hardly the most expensive item in the world even from the likes of B&Q

Well I've finally managed to do it chaps, it's working and all is well again in the world. Here is a pic:

IMG_0002.jpg

There is a choc box to the extract fan cable as I had to lengthen it. Not sure if i should have but on the other side of the choc box I wrote warning: new and old colours -just to warn anyone opening it up in future, and on the cable to the switch I have written "To switch".

I will get one of our sparks to come check it out after Christmas and then I guess I'll need to inform LABC to inspect it.

Just one last thing:

To all those people who I had cursing at their monitors, I apologise.
To all those that continued cursing but helped no end, I thank.
To all those that read and inputted to this thread, I thank.

My sincerest thanks to all those who tried to help.
And a special thanks to Ban-all-sheds (from the links/info you posted), I have learnt something new the last couple of days that will stay with me. Initially I just wanted somebody to tell me the answer straight up but after reading the links and information it made more sense and I actually then understood what I was doing instead of blindly following instructions.

Regards
Matt

p.s. I couldn't find a bigger box lol.

Sponsored Links
then I guess I'll need to inform LABC to inspect it.
Far too late for that now - if you wanted to do that it should have been done before you started work.

And a special thanks to Ban-all-sheds (from the links/info you posted), I have learnt something new the last couple of days that will stay with me. Initially I just wanted somebody to tell me the answer straight up but after reading the links and information it made more sense and I actually then understood what I was doing instead of blindly following instructions.
NP, and thanks for the thanks.

p.s. I couldn't find a bigger box lol.
You will fix them to the joists, won't you... ;)

You will fix them to the joists, won't you... ;)

I was thinking of fixing a steel beam (UB) in place to support them spanning from the party wall to the gable wall on concrete padstones each end, trouble is, I can't size the beams? :LOL:

Perhaps I need a structural engineer.... ;)

Cheeers
Matt

I'm sorry that you feel the need to take the p*** - I wasn't - they are supposed to be fixed, not just left lying there, even if every house in the land has ones just lying there....

I'm sorry that you feel the need to take the p*** - I wasn't - they are supposed to be fixed, not just left lying there, even if every house in the land has ones just lying there....

Sorry pal, thought you were taking the **** out of the size of my box lol. Seriously though point taken, I will look into getting these fixed to the joists. I suppose if plasterboard ceilings were to ever come down then they would too (or just be left hanging there at least).

Thanks again ban-all-sheds.

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back