Bathroom paint flaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi....this always happens...no matter what I do...any ideas? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Prob needs some more details to help, ie, what paint are you using, on what surface. Or if you have adequate ventilation for a bathroom...

Probably someone before you hasn't followed the manufacturers advice.

Sponsored Links
I just used matt emulsion:(.....If I need to use bathroom stuff...do I need to remove the emulsion...and how do I do that?....thanks.

Matt is the last choice of paint to use in a bathroom, or any areas of high humidity, unless you have excellent ventilation. Acrylic eggshell is best, followed by kitchen/bathroom paints and vinyl silk.
This doesn't necessarily mean you have to remove all of the matt if it is well adhered in places but, until we know how badly affected the walls/ceiling are, it's difficult to advise on your best option. Any chance of you posting a pic or two?

DSC06682.jpg
DSC06683.jpg
Thanks....here are 2 pics.

That looks like it will peel away in large sheets, and the second pic looks as if it already has at some point. This suggests that a mist coat (diluted emulsion) wasn't applied properly - do you know if that is the case? Is there bare plaster under the paint when it is scraped off?
Unfortunately, with paint like that, you will need to remove all the loose stuff before repainting. Any well adhered paint can stay but you will need to fine fill/sand the paint edges flat if you want any ridges (like the one in pic 2) to become less noticeable. Removal is best with a sharp scraper, or it can be gently steamed if necessary - with either method, you need to be careful not to damage the underlying plaster.

thanks...so if I scrape / sand then apply acrylic eggshell...should be ok?.....no mist coat needed as plaster is not exposed?

It should be ok but you have to make 100% sure that there are no loose edges as the moisture will get behind and cause more peeling. You can add 5-10% water to the acrylic to ease application and hopefully that will solve it.
Just wondering...is the T shaped cracked area a join in the plasterboards that has been filled and has cracked again, as this could be causing the flaking there?

This is exactly the reason you should never use weak contract matt under strong vinyl.

I've given you the technical/scientific explanation. Get over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back