Bathroom Plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What plants work best in ground floor bathrooms that gets a lot of light at times and then darker, shaded times?

Any help or ideas would be great thanks.

Rob.

Sponsored Links
berty, depends what your after in terms of looks, but most indoor plants will like the humidity thats in the bathroom. Ive got an internal planter built into the window cill and tiled in (sounds wierd but looks good) spider plants love it, so do aloe vera and money plants, but ive previously used yucca and bannana

Hi Thermo,

Well, I love the rainforest look so nice green leafy things would be great, but i thought Yuccas needed a lot of light? I certainly had one die on me before.

It is light most of the time but thats mainly up by the boiler end that also has a washing machine, the is then a small open passage that has the bath bits partly recessed behind a wall, hence the shade around the bath.

A Banana plant sounds interesting!

Rob.

Try Aspidistra 'cast iron plant' or Dragon tree (don't know Latin name!)for good effect. Ivy will do well. I went through 3 yuccas in 5 years, all died so I gave up :(

Sponsored Links
well we started the yucca off in there and it got to big so we had to move it out, gets sun in the morning and shade in afternoon, so was never a problem with it.

Hi Thermo and mrgrumpy,

Thanks for that, i'll give the Yucca another try as i do like them and i have changed house since the previous demise, that Aspidistra looks cool too, i'll get one of those at least for elsewhere.

Rob

mrgrumpy said:
Try Aspidistra 'cast iron plant' or Dragon tree (don't know Latin name!)for good effect.
Dragon tree :- Dracaena draco (but what do I know ? ;) ).
A picture of a banana plant, how big is your bathroom ??
musa.jpg

Hi Scoby_Beasley,

Um, the room is certainly not that big!! Looks nice tho, when i first read the suggestion I kinda thought the banana bit was not an actual full on banana tree!

Hmm, maybe for the garden at a later point, I think the bathroom would be cool for now though.

Rob.

yeah thats about the size of it scott, its a centre piece and a talking point! :D

Banana plants are not trees, I think they are related to herbs, got three clumps in my back garden, brilliant lying in the hammock, can in one hand, tab in t'other, roll on summer !

Hi,

Yup, been reading some more on the plant(!?), upto 25feet in a year?! Mmmm, certainly a big thing indeed, thanks for the awareness! I'mm guessing tho that it wont grow quite so vigorously in the UK, or certainly slow down once it got to a size where I would have to put it outside? I already have 2 spanish canary trees which i like.

Rob

We bought a 3' tall banana 18 months ago, its now 4'6" tall with six 'babies'. At the same time we boought a 1' tall banana (same variety etc. etc. ) It now has a 6' stem, five 4' babies and more suckers than I can be arsed to count. If you want bananas plants, wrap them up for winter, cut the leaves off first, and when you unwrap in spring off they go again. Edible bananas are slightly different though. (Mr. grumpy will tell you to buy the bigger plants though, as small ones don't grow, Doh !! where do big plants come from ??? ;)

Seriously though berty2000. If you want to put a banana plant in your bathroom, remember the leaves can go from 1 to 3 metres long. Go for Musa (dwarf) cavendishii. Hits 5' tall with a 5' spread (In this gods country), and if you get them, you can eat the 'nanas.
Oh, shh, I didnt tell you this, bananas (like bamboo) need water, water, water and a bit of food helps them no end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back