Bathroom pullcord not turning light off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changing a bathroom pull cord switch. Made the schoolboy error of not noting the connections. I have 2 earth wires and 3 red wires. Connected the earth on new switch and worked out that one of the reds is the neutral. The two live wires I have tried in L1 and L2. The bathroom light comes on but won't switch off. When I pull the cord the upstairs lights come on and off with each pull of the cord. Anyone able to advise. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your "neutral" isn't neutral. One red is bringing the power in to the switch; one is taking it on to the hall light. The third is the switched live which goes to the bathroom light fitting. From the sound of it you've got the switched live going nowhere, and the onward feed to the hall light on the switched side of the switch.

PJ

Your "neutral" isn't neutral. One red is bringing the power in to the switch; one is taking it on to the hall light. The third is the switched live which goes to the bathroom light fitting. From the sound of it you've got the switched live going nowhere, and the onward feed to the hall light on the switched side of the switch.

PJ

Where does the hall light come into it? How do you know there is a hall light on that circuit?

Don't know if you have a one way or a two way pull switch there, but presumably you have simple one way switching.

You only need to use two terminals on the switch

Com
L1
don't use L2 if it is present

alternatively, the terminal markings can differ depending on the make
L1
L2
don't use L3 if it present

Connect the red that goes to the light in one side of the switch
Connect the remaining reds together in the other side of the switch

Any problems us know, maybe a fan is incorporated into this wiring, can only assume not at this stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back