Bathroom strip light over mirror

Sponsored Links
Find where the wires go - a disconnected neutral is a possibility. Sort out the mess of twisted wires with proper connections.

You never know...

That's what I propose to fiddle with. Logic perhaps suggests that I trace the wires backwards, and the last accessible point prior to my over-sink light is the ceiling light, where a number of wires converge into the 'rose' arrangememt. Whilst not an expert, I feel relatively comfortable in assessing what should be where and whether anything looks out of place.

Anyway, it is only 5a after all, might do me a bit of good to get an electrical nudge........

:eek:

Cheers again all who have sought to assist.

Sponsored Links
chambsesf said:
Anyway, it is only 5a after all, might do me a bit of good to get an electrical nudge.........
Indeed it might.

On the other hand, 5A is about ten times the current at which ventricular fibrillation can start after 100ms, so maybe not. Ventricular fibrillation is a Bad Thing™.

Plus, of course, the circuit can supply a great deal more than 5A if you ask it to..

Last time, I found a small shock to be quite enlightening, with no VF apparent albeit my heart did beat a bit faster...... Needless to say, the power will be off before investigating and I will be seeking to avoid any further shocks.

:LOL:

Needless to say, complacency, like water & electricity do not mix.

Complacency does not mix with what? can't be doing with stuff like this.

No, not dead, just haven't got around to it yet. Ceiling light works (so not in the dark) but mirror light still non-functioning.

Ban, you're right!

I meant complacency & electricity do not mix.

Maybe a tad off-topic but I have to tell. Got called out tonight to a classic. Husband's at work so, after three weeks with no downstairs lights the missus has had enough. I arrived to find no fewer than six T & E cables dangling from a ceiling rose position. SIX!! A few questions established that one extra light had been added a couple of years ago to come on at the same time as the one that was now dismantled and dangling meacingly. (He was trying to replace the old ceiling rose) Okay, so I knew the purpose of four of the cables, but what of the other two?

Took about half an hour to hear the full story, make safe, then find and mark the original circuit and switch cabling to the light. So, three cables to go... obviously one of them must go to the additional light and be linked to switched live and neutral. I looked at the 'new' light, expecting to see a single cable. THREE all wired up as you would expect to see in a mid-circuit loop-in rose... except all three went back to the original light position. It turns out he'd looked at a couple of fittings and decided that every light must have three cables wired into it. In this case, none of the reds actually did anything at all - they just sat there, live and useless. Two of the blacks simply doubled up the neutral connection and the third black carried the switched live between the lights.

According to the missus he'd spent a couple of hours a night, ever since he'd dismantled the original connections, just connecting up every possible connection and tripping the MCB until he'd finally given up... but was too proud to call in a spark! There must be a moral in there somewhere...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back