bathroom wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am totally rewiring the entire house as we have ripped the whole house apart.
I need some info for the bathroom.
I will have a light unit on the ceiling. Can the wiring for this be run as a continuation of the wiring run for the rest of the lights upstairs or does it have to be a separate supply?
The switch is a pull cord. Can I use single pole or does it have to be double pole?
If double pole does the main wiring connect to the switch and then run to the light unit or will the wiring go to the light unit as a normal room and drop over to the switch?
The same question for spotlights over the mirror?
I have a whirlpool bath. This obviously requires a power supply. I understand it has to be its own individual supply to the Consumer Unit and RCD protected, but where can I put a fuse spur in the bathroom for it?

That's it for now, any replies will be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Noticing your multi posts, Are you capable of doing this work? Sorry for asking BUT you do not seem to have enough grasp of circuits or the regulations. Have you gone the route of building control notification?

I will have a light unit on the ceiling. Can the wiring for this be run as a continuation of the wiring run for the rest of the lights upstairs or does it have to be a separate supply?
Yes
The switch is a pull cord. Can I use single pole or does it have to be double pole?
Either
If double pole does the main wiring connect to the switch and then run to the light unit or will the wiring go to the light unit as a normal room and drop over to the switch?
For DP, you will require a neutral and live from main supply, at supply-in at switch. then live and neutral to light at load-out
same answer
I have a whirlpool bath. This obviously requires a power supply. I understand it has to be its own individual supply to the Consumer Unit and RCD protected, but where can I put a fuse spur in the bathroom for it?
It does not require it's own supply from consumer unit it can be spurred of a socket circuit via a fused connection unit. The FCU can be fitted outside zone 1, all electrics within bathroom require 30mA RCD protection

I have a distinction in my part 1 16th edition. I am a qualified lift and fork lift engineer. I have run all the ring mains etc and just need a few tips on the spots in the living room and a few tips on the bathroom. I can do the work but just want to know that it will be right.

Sponsored Links
I can do the work but just want to know that it will be right.
If you don't know it's right, to me that would suggest you don't know how to do the work.
I would suggest you purchase BS7671:2008 amendment 1 and the on-site guide, if you are after valid information.

I have a distinction in my part 1 16th edition. I am a qualified lift and fork lift engineer. I have run all the ring mains etc and just need a few tips on the spots in the living room and a few tips on the bathroom. I can do the work but just want to know that it will be right.

But if you don't have 17th edition, then you'll be working to the wrong regs - there were some fairly significant changes

As suggested, get an up to date BS7671 and read!
Good luck

I am totally rewiring the entire house as we have ripped the whole house apart.
I need some info for the bathroom.

That's it for now, any replies will be welcome.

The bathroom light switch only needs to isolate the live conductor, so a single pole switch is required.

It may be an idea to use a 20 amp 4 terminal junction box to take the bulk of the bathroom light wiring, so the light and switch each only have one cable at them. This will give you more wiring space.

You haven't mentioned a bathroom fan. If you are having a timed one, a 3 pole fan switch outside the bathroom makes a good junction box.

I'm not certain a whirlpool bath has to be on it's own circuit, but the RCD and fused spur needs to be outside the bathroom ideally.

Since you are 'totally rewiring the entire house', it may be that the whirlpool can be powered from the socket circuit that should be protected by an RCD.

Your questions show an enormous lack of understanding of electrical installations, and I doubt you should be attempting this work. An example of how qualifications can mean bugger all.

I have a distinction in my part 1 16th edition.
All that proves is that you can read, and do a little better than if you just tossed a coin.

I am a qualified lift and fork lift engineer.
But neither a qualified nor competent electrician.

I have run all the ring mains etc
No.

and just need a few tips on the spots in the living room
A few tips?

Wake up and smell the coffee - you can't work out how to install a 2-gang 1-way light switch to control 2 sets of lights, and you need it explained in pictures because you find wiring diagrams hard to understand.

And you think you can rewire a house?

shake%20head.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back