batten and overboard a ceiling for skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a uneven ceiling that i plan on battening with 50x25mm roofing battens and then screw 9.5mm plasterboard reading for skimming.
Can someone tell me if I need to batten along the length of each joist and pack out or is it better to fasten the battens perpendicular the joists and pack out?
Is there a better option?
Thanks,
Joe.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Only a DIY'er, but I believe you batten perpendicular and space them to your boards.
An old uneven roof may have some very odd joist spacings! :)

Pull the lot down.
Hire board lifter for a week at £50
Buy cheap laser level set at 1m off floor then use baton of wood marked so when laser line hits mark the top of wood is at constant height as you move around room. .
You can do the same to get level floor but not what you are asking.
When you finished fixing wood to size of joists and all level board ceiling.
Fit noggins so that all edges of plasterboard has timber for fixing (supported) vs ends flapping and can move causing it to crack
Tape joints and skim

Sponsored Links
I agree with above. I am just. DIYer but I’d take all the old plaster down first leaving the bare joists. Adding plasterboard only adds to the weight and makes the ceiling sag more.

Once all the old plaster is knocked off the joists there’s a load of ways of getting a flat ceiling. Just youtube it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back