Batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some AGFA dry batteries from Ebuyer. I opened them some time after buying them.

I found some of them were panasonic wet batteries.

I complained to Ebuyer.

Their response was:

Dear Simon Abbott,

Thank you for your response.

After looking into your query I can advise that I am unfortunately unable to raise a return on the item or send you out any more batteries due to the length of time you have had the product.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or annoyance caused as a result of this matter.

Kind Regards,
Rebecca
Ebuyer.com
Customer Support Team

Sponsored Links
Batteries are consumables with a shelf life. You should have checked them earlier.

Ha ha joe, you do make me laugh!

This is nothing to do with shelf life!!

This is to do with the product not being what I ordered....

I ordered it on 19 April.

But that is too long for the shop to take them back and sell them on.

Who wants your old batteries?

Sponsored Links
I agree. They can't sell them on. They should NOT have sold them to me in the first place!!

Low power wet Panasonic batteries inside a cardboard box that had AGFA Alkaline high power on it.

Put it this way: If you bought Bachelors Cup a soup and found Tesco value sachets inside, you'd be annoyed right?

Because, if you wanted Tesco Value, you'd have bought Tesco Value and paid a whole lot les for them.

Is there anything in their fine print pertaining to length of time allowed to return goods? Are there any markings of the battery about a best before date?

Think I'd have a bit more of a go about this - I suspect that they will give in in the end.

So you have a complaint under the Sale of Goods Act.

Goods supplied do not correspond with description.

They are just trying to evade their responsibility by mentioning the three-month delay in their contractual breach coming to light.

Try a curt recorded letter, not an email to their customer-fobbing-off department.

We as consumers too often get "tricked" by the companies' "policies".
Goods should be fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time.

The company might say "we guarantee everything for a week".... so what?!... a hammer or a hairbrush should last longer than a week !! and the SOGA says that very thing....

Push back i say !!

"WE" as consumers often do not use the product nor check it. So it is our "Your" fault.
I sign for goods and if the carrier cannot wait for me to insect the goods it is signed for as "uninspected" , Then at the soonest they are checked and if wrong a call followed by a fax and written letter, And a returns note generated by the supplier.

Always check or sign as not inspected, then check ASAP.

To be fair, I would check a large item arriving by parcel post for damage.

But for a retail pack of batteries I would expect the contents to match the packaging.

Debit, unfortunately. I'll write to them reminding them of SOGA.

Sponsored Links
Back