Battery size.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would there be any implications if I replace the 12v 1.2ah battery in my alarm panel with a 12v 7ah battery or will the panel charge it ok?

Sponsored Links
If the charger is a constant current type then the larger battery will (probably) not harm the charger.

If the charger is a constant voltage type then the larger battery will take about 5 times the charger current and may blow the fuse and (probably) will cause the charger circuit regualtor to over heat. This may destroy regulator or cause it to shut down and hence the battery will NOT be charged.

Thanks for the fast reply, I only asked as I got a few of the larger batteries out of some em twinspot units today. Still, it'll only cost around a fiver for a new one of the same size.
Thanks again, I've learnt something tonight :D

Sponsored Links
The main control panel is on top of my kitchen units so space isn't a problem, I've had that problem before on jobs though.

thae battery is meant to go inside the panel, not on a shelf next to it, suppose some joker unplugs it.

also using too big a battery can cook the charging cct if the battery goes nearly flat, as it can not supply the capacity the battery is trying to draw (please note i did say can, not will)

breezer said:
thae battery is meant to go inside the panel, not on a shelf next to it, suppose some joker unplugs it.

also using too big a battery can cook the charging cct if the battery goes nearly flat, as it can not supply the capacity the battery is trying to draw (please note i did say can, not will)

Think I'll take yours and Bernard's advice and stick to a 1.2ah.

The panel is very high up, even I need my 5 treads to reach it so unplugging wouldn't have been a problem but I guess that's not an issue now. Cheers Breezer + Bernard, thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back