Battons or chase first, daft query of the day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Now I may be being a bit daft here...

I was going to have two external solid walls chased inside for cable runs. Instead of me renting chaser tool ect I asked electrician and he said to, 'fit all the battons first and he can chase around them.'

It is c21 metres he needs to chase overall. Beats me how that is possible if every 40cm is a vertical batton and your going horizontal.

I did point this out but he said could chase around the battons, and he asked me to batton first before he did first Fix?

That just seems wrong order to me, harder, more risk damaging battons, perhaps taking me down route of cables clipped rather than chased which I do not want.

If this is normal do say, not a clue bar watching videos that all show blank wall before chasing

Sponsored Links
Solid walls no cavity?
Your going to batten walls and board?
Run cables between wall and board?

Solid walls, no cavity, c33-36cm thick.

50mm red grade tp roof battons, with 50mm insulation between. PB 12
5mm Board on top with vp layer. Aim to avoid cutting into insulation, so chasing, ajnd cannot insulate over battons, other reasons.

Cables chased in wall, not on wall.

If you must chase, then it's done before anything is fixed to the wall.

As it's being covered with insulation and plasterboard, chasing is just a waste of time and money.

Sponsored Links
@flameport won't there be a difference if rest is 50mm, but those bits are 30mm for keeping heat in... Maybe will be too small to notice the affect...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back