Baxi 105e problems

rsw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if you could help with some problems we have with our boiler.

It may be that I need to get a qualified plumber / heating engineer in, but if there’s something I can try first then I would rather do that.

The boiler is a Baxi Combi 105e – it was in the house when we bought it about 7 years ago, but I think it is about 10 years old.

There are a number problems (no idea if they are related or not)

First, the hot water runs hot then cold, which means we only get a warm bath. The water heats up until all the temperature leds are on then a few seconds later the gas goes off. The pump carries on running and after about 10-15 seconds the boiler kicks back in.

After a bit of experimenting I realised that if we turn the tap down and reduce the flow by about half the boiler stays on. It’ll take a long time to fill the bath like this but at least is a temporary fix!

Second is that the radiators get warm when using the hot water, my guess is that it is the diverter valve at fault here and isn’t related to the first problem?

Third is that the boiler seems to be running at quite a high pressure – just before the red.

Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
Sounds like 2 problems, a scaled dhw heat exchanger would give the hot water problems and radiator problems. Because the primary water can't circulate through it it is forced to the radiators. The diverter valve not moving completely would give the same results, easy fix for an engineer. Your pressure problem is almost certainly an expansion vessel problem. Again another easy fix. Durham way probably less than £100 for everything.

Thanks for the reply.

I presume a scaled dhw heat exchanger would need cleaning / descaling rather than replacing?

What about the expansion vessel, is it most likely a case of pressurising it? or replacement?

Are either likely to be a diy job?

Thanks

Yes, I've known lots who've done it themselves. You first need to find out if it's a diverter valve problem or a scaled heat ex. You can do this by closing the very left hand service valve to the boiler and running your hot tap. If the water works ok then it's a diverter valve problem if not it's more likely to be scale. Yes you can normally repressurise the expansion vessel, this would be done whilst draining down to correct the dhw problem.

Sponsored Links
Tried closing the left hand valve and the water still runs hot and cold, so must be the heat exchanger at fault.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back