Baxi Bahama intermittent fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Bahama boiler.
It has a history of failure (not disclosed to us when we bought our house nearly 2 years ago)
When we moved into our house nearly 2 years ago the boiler had zero pressure (0 on pressure gauge) and would often lock out.

We recharged the pressure to 1bar but this would make the pressure rise to 3 bar with the CH running.
We discovered that the expansion vessel needed repressurising, once this was done the pressure for the CH remains steady at about 2 bar when running.
We also fitted a new PRV at the same time (old one knackered most likely from over pressurising)
Despite the pressure being stable the boiler would occasionally lock out (flame failure light comes on) and required the reset switch to be pressed for the boiler to work.
We started to keep a note of the lockouts to try an find a pattern, but all this told us was that they seemed random.
After a bit of research on this boiler we replaced both flow switches as these seemed a common issue with the Bahama. We also found the diverter cartridge to be stiff so replaced that too. We also changed the Overheat Stat, Thermistor and had a new control board as there seemed to be some resistors with heat damage on ours.
The fault with the boiler remained but now seemed to only occur with DHW and not CH.
We noticed that the mains water pressure was a bit low in our house and replacing 2 old stop taps in the kitchen with a new one improved this (previously we couldn't run the electric shower after flushing the loo but now we can, and the boiler would lockout if you ran the hot tap to wash your hands after flushing the loo).
We also had fluctuating hot water so have had the plate heat exchanger, CH filter and flow regulator changed.

Despite changing all these parts the boiler is still occasionally (6 times in the 10 days since the plate heat exchanger was fitted) going to lockout. It seems to do this on DHW demand and it seems to be an instant lockout, you can tell when it has gone as you can run the tap and no hot water comes through at all. The one time I have managed to be standing by the boiler when it did it I saw the flame failure light come on as soon as the hot water tap was turned on.

What could possibly be wrong with this boiler that hasn't already been changed. It has just been serviced and the heating guy is at a loss to the cause of the lockouts too. We have checked the air pressure pipes to the APS and they look and feel OK. My next guess is the CVI module or what else?

Any ideas to try next?
I know the best course would be to replace the boiler with another and eventually I will but would rather not have to fork out the £2K+ just yet, and wouldn't even know which boiler to choose.

Any help greatly appreciated

Vicky

Sponsored Links
Yeah cvi.
Why 2k plus ?
buy a main 33he and fit it end of,,,,

I have encountered these models with parts of the gas valve occasionally sticking.

I dont know if thats the problem on yours though.

Thats a very quick job for me to deal with but then I am CORGI registered. Not a DIY job.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info guys,

I'll let my heating guy know and we'll try a new CVI module.

I think if that doesn't fix it we'll muddle on through the summer, save up for a new one and get it fitted before the winter sets in.

If it ends up a new boiler have you got any suggestions. Do we have to have a condensing boiler as our boiler is mounted under the stairs, don't really want to move it, don't condensing boilers need access to a waste pipe? nearest waste is about 4m away, and it vents on the wall which is opposite our neighbours end wall separated by about 1.5m

Which makes/models should be avoided and which would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

i had the exact same problem as this on this model of boiler also it indeed turned out to be the cvi module ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back