Baxi Bermuda Back boiler Heat exchange questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had this boiler for all the time that ive been in the house (over 8yrs)

and now the heat exchange has gone, british gas told me that it was the heat exchange that has gone and i would need to replace the whole boiler :O

As prices are not cheap on new boilers and with the ever credit problems around, is there a way the heat exchange could be replaced ???

From records that i have on the fire and boiler it is one of 2 boilers i have

Bermuda 401 or 552 (not sure on which but would be very greatful on knowing how to find out)

Also should i be able to get a re-placement heat exchange do i need a corgie registered person to fit it ??

Sponsored Links
You need a CORGI to fit it.

The HE for the 552 may still be available but probably about £150.

Its false economy to repair such an old and inefficient boiler.

To convert to a combi system would be about £2500 at the economy end but about £4400 at BG.

BG give interest free credit but their prices are on the high side.

Tony

it might be false economy to repair but it is real economy if you can find £300-400 quicker than £2500-4000 !!!!!!!!!!

Basically they are lying to you if the heat exchanger has gone then yes it can be repaired
If yhe heat exchanger is in reasonable condition then all it may need is a new gasket between the 2 sections and cost about £20
If the heat exchanger is in poor condition then a new heat exchanger is still avialable at approx £250 for a 401 and £350 for a 552. You may find parts cheaper on a search

Then you have labour on top and it can be anything from say 3 hours to all day depending on access and how well it drains/fills etc.

Are you on contract with them if so tell them to get it ordered and done

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replys

@ Agile i know where your coming from and your right on the price BG charge as i had a price from them and was going to go ahead but my credit rating was too low for them :(

@ namsag i did have a contract with BG the homecare pack option 4 which i thought covered everything - but seams i was wrong as they refused to carry any work on the boiler, and have comdeamed it :( with which they said it was the heat exchange that went - water was dripping out so its all been drained and now i dont have any heating :(

So now that i know a CORGI person has to fit it anyone know of any firms ect in the cumbria area that would be able to do it - as i have been able to find a replacement HE.

Hope you have the right HE then.
If you have the wrong one, any engineer you have out to fit it will be charging you for wasting his time, as he'll have to find other work for the day.
Many engineers wouldn't consider fitting a part you've obtained, for that reason. It just gets unpleasant and complicated.
You might need this one:

BAXI 226216 HEAT EXCHANGER 36KG
WM513RS,401,512,531,532,551,552,675,51/3,51/3RS 364574
Retail Price 473.131 + vat = £555.93

Hope you have the right HE then.
If you have the wrong one, any engineer you have out to fit it will be charging you for wasting his time, as he'll have to find other work for the day.
Many engineers wouldn't consider fitting a part you've obtained, for that reason. It just gets unpleasant and complicated.
You might need this one:

BAXI 226216 HEAT EXCHANGER 36KG
WM513RS,401,512,531,532,551,552,675,51/3,51/3RS 364574
Retail Price 473.131 + vat = £555.93

Right, ive not yet brought it but would most engineer once they know what model it is be ok with the customer to buy the part once both partys are sure which boiler it is ???

from that heat exchange above that looks like it covers both of the boilers mine could be, ethier way it a hell of a lot cheaper than a whole new boiler, at least for now

You will need to find out which boiler you have AS THE 401 AND 552 are two completely different sizes.
www.gas-spares.co.uk
552 is £364.98 = 428.85
401 is 243.32 = 285.90
Plus around 20 quid delivery these prices are retail and they may give you %20 of as they tend to give trade price as standard

its also possible the burner, the combustion chamber casing etc may require changing. dependent on the damage caused by the leaking he.

Haslam do you mean homecare 400 at 26 quid a month
How long have you been on contract

Are you on contract with them if so tell them to get it ordered and done

this is all you need to do. unless they have given a specific reason for it not being covered get on to them to change it, it is covered under 300 or 400.

You really need to have the system flushed when fitting a new HE, as it is the same as fitting a new boiler.

Was only with them for a month when it happened, i am due to canceling it as the engineer said my cover did not cover the HE ?? but yes i was on the highest package.

annoys me these peace of mind set-ups, you pay money out then when something happens then you find out that part was not covered :(

Was only with them for a month when it happened, i am due to canceling it as the engineer said my cover did not cover the HE ?? but yes i was on the highest package.

annoys me these peace of mind set-ups, you pay money out then when something happens then you find out that part was not covered :(

it is covered, read your terms and conditions :rolleyes:

it is covered, read your terms and conditions :rolleyes:

unless it was found to be leaking on initial inspection and they (BG) were not told a fault exists - although even then, they could have quoted for a repair

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back