Baxi Boston Heat Shield

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my Baxi Boston 2 Boiler serviced, it's 17 years old. The boiler looks in good condition and has been passed as safe to use. However, the heat shield (looks a bit like a narrow wafer biscuit) has broken / fell off the front burner plate. I don't want to buy a new boiler, can parts still be bought for this and if not is it safe to use indefinitely? The service engineer was pushing to invest in a new boiler.

Sponsored Links
sorry not sure which part you mean ? do you mean the heat shield that goes over the gas valve ?

Picture would help. Lots of parts are obsolete for this boiler so you may want to start saving for the inevitable

I think it is this, but only the white insulation board that has dropped off and broken in two. It had been stuck on.
http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/baxi-235381-carrier-insulation-front-door-assembly/
We've tried many sites but all say either obsolete or when we ring they don't have it in stock.
Given that it is just the insulation board (and by the way the gas fitter passed the service), if we can't get the part, could a gas fitter cut a piece of board to the same dimension and stick it on? It seems ridiculous to have to scrap the boiler for such a small piece of insulation board.

Sponsored Links
Here's a picture
20160630_095158[1].jpg
20160630_095158[1].jpg

Without that heat shield the metal will overheat, oxidise and burn through in perhaps a year or two.

Being helpful I might agree to cut some from a piece of material from another boiler. But strictly we should not really do that. If I were to fix it then it would be stated as only a temporary solution with the expectation that you would agree to a new boiler within a reasonable period, say within a year.

An engineer seeking to sell you a new boiler is not going to consider doing that though.

Tony

Many thanks Tony.
Of course there could be a divorce over the purchase, I'm all for a combi (more room where the tank is now housed as well as other pluses) and my husband hates them with a vengance.

I would never recommend a combi except for a small flat with no more than one bathroom and a maximum of two occupants.

Your husband seems to have good choices on heating. A new cylinder can be fitted in most lofts!

Tony

Google a product called Cerafelt. It's an insulating material used in boilers. I've done many repairs in the past exactly like that.
It's an option to replacing an otherwise perfectly good boiler.

Without that heat shield the metal will overheat, oxidise and burn through in perhaps a year or two.

Being helpful I might agree to cut some from a piece of material from another boiler. But strictly we should not really do that. If I were to fix it then it would be stated as only a temporary solution with the expectation that you would agree to a new boiler within a reasonable period, say within a year.

An engineer seeking to sell you a new boiler is not going to consider doing that though.

Tony
Are you saying this temporary repair of yours may cause a potential problem within a year?
Surely if you carry out the repair using the appropriate material then why would a replacement boiler be required within such a short period of time?
Are you not confident of the temporary repair?...if not then why are you suggesting it?

Are you saying this temporary repair of yours may cause a potential problem within a year?
Surely if you carry out the repair using the appropriate material then why would a replacement boiler be required within such a short period of time?
Are you not confident of the temporary repair?...if not then why are you suggesting it?

I hope you realise that by questioning Tony he will now have to vanish off this thread and we will never find out why combi's are only suitable for very small flats You're such a troll :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I thought that everyone knew why combis are only suitable for small flats and up to two occupiers!

Well everyone apart from those installers who just fit them all the time regardless of their suitability.

I thought that everyone knew why combis are only suitable for small flats and up to two occupiers!

Well everyone apart from those installers who just fit them all the time regardless of their suitability.
I guess manufacturers will be taking heed of your above input and hence lowering central heating output to a max rating of 6kw???
Vaillant obviously read your input and amend their appliances to suit......isn't this what you said a while back??

I've got exactly the same problem as sophiejazz - no spares available for this incredibly simple part, anywhere. There's a picture available of the front of the assembly here:http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/baxi-235381-carrier-insulation-front-door-assembly/. The insulator (same as sophiejazz's pic) is stuck to the back.
So I have to replace a whole boiler for this simple bit of kit, just to get the boiler back in service (BG have disconnected it)!
I would try using the cerafelt, but I'm worried about what adhesive to use - anybody know what would work under these temperature conditions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back