Baxi Genesis 80 not firing

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if the pump has a separate flow switch or is it just the 2 flow switches on CH and DHW.

John

Sponsored Links
Just the two flow switches one for a dhw demand the other to prove pump is running, thought you had a
Ready tested this and its ok?

Am I right in thinking both must work (short) in order for the DHW to work, but only CH for to get the CH to work

John

Yes you are correct in what you are saying, i hope your linking harness end and not the switch! (Obvious i know but nothing suprises me) use a multimeter on continuity on the switch themselves when unplugged aswell just to check if not jammed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bazdaman,
I had shorted out the CH (harness side) and turned tap on. I had thought the DHW side must have been ok because pump seemed to be running but the DHW side was open circuit - so it was the flow switch on this side. On top of this the thermistor on the CH side was faulty. Sorted now. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Many thanks

John

I am surprised that it took you so long to realise that the DHW switch was not operating and the sensor was faulty.

Both very simple meter measurements!

Tony

Tony,
Although i'm an electronic engineer this is the first time I have tackled a boiler and the manual provides limited information. Experience is a great thing - I doubt you could tackle an aircraft avionics system as I would.

John

I think that I would get on fine with an aircraft avionics system.

As you probably would with my background of high power RF equipment.

In electronics terms a boiler is very simple!

Tony

John, your boiler has a pretty unique feature but perhaps similar to something that might have been used on early planes for something.

We are not permitted to give advice on DIY gas repairs but I don't think there is any risk involved in describing the unique feature on your boiler. Probably described in the MI anyway.

The gas valve has three solenoids. The first is an enabling safety solenoid allowing gas to pass on to the other two solenoids.

The second was a restricted valve which only allowed 1/3 of the full gas flow. The third was restricted but to 2/3 of the full gas flow. So step modulation of 1/3 or 2/3 or 3/3 was achieved by whatever combination of the solenoids were powered.

Nowadays modulation is fully proportional either by an analogue proportional solenoid or a stepper motor.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back