Baxi Instant 105e - part name unknown!

Well, the DHW still isn't working after changing the valve differential, so maybe I do need one (whatever it is)!

Sounds ominous. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Funny you should say that, baxpoti.

Just come to the self same conclusion and spoken to the builder.

Symptoms:

Diverter pin does not move at all, irrespective of ANY tap that is opened in the house;
Pipe that, I think, should be stone cold, is warm;
Opening of any and all taps in the house and simultaneously (manually) operating the microswitch (and thus making the boiler fire up) still does not give any hot water.

Conclusion:

Cross-over of pipes somewhere.

Does this conclusion make sense to you?

Originally you never said it wasn't working just that a part had snapped.

Is this really your boiler??

Sponsored Links
Tony is referring to the redish pancake at the back. it has two pipes to it instead of the usual one. The dhw instant part is allowed for by keeping the the ev nice and hot which it doesn't take kindly to. You can just leave it in place and fit an additional ev on the return pipe somewhere convenient in the system. That is my advice when it occurs. You will begin to experience problems with the pressure guage and water dripping out of the little pipe outside any time soon.

I should just add that the last time I had to attend a boiler for a manufacturer which had been "moved" it was in the worst state of any boiler from that manufacturer I have ever seen. There are warning signs about your situation that ring true.

This is 100% my boiler, rob884.

Sorry if I didn't make things clear. I'm an amateur at all this, as you can no doubt tell.

The boiler was working, was then moved into the garage and the DHW did not work thereafter. I had had a similar problem with the CH diverter pin previously and so cleaned the pin on the DHW valve differential. The part snapped, so I replaced it, assuming that this was the problem.

Since then, I have begun to suspect (because of the symptom mentioned above) that - somehow - the DHW hot and cold pipes have been crossed, resulting in no DHW. CH is fine, by the way.

Thanks for your comments, Paul. I hope you're wrong. When the boiler was serviced by a CORGI chap a few months ago, he thought it was only 2 - 3 years old and looked good - so I'm clinging on this hope!

The chap who moved the boiler is due back here today, so watch this space. Just hoping that he's made a simple b*alls-up which is readily rectifiable.

Thanks to all.

Paul Barker said:
You can just leave it in place and fit an additional ev on the return pipe somewhere convenient in the system.

Possible problems with this.
The already knackered schrader valve is now holding water pressure
and the volume of preheat water is doubled, hence takes more energy to heat.

Sorted.

baxipoti was right. Simple hot/cold crossover on incorrectly marked (i.e. red/blue) pipes.

Switched over and immediately fired up a treat.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Would like to thank everyone's input, especially baxpoti.

Good luck to all.

Cheers...

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back