Baxi Solo 3 pfl50 ongoing problems

The external controls / motorised valves are providing the required 'run' signal which results in the 'Boiler On' light being illuminated as your photo shows. Once this happens....

Capture.JPG

....the boiler should then continue to the next sequence of starting the fan, and when that is confirmed light the pilot, and then the burner. This isn't happening, so will require an RGI to investigate. As far as any external controls go they are asking the boiler for heat, and have switched the 'Boiler On' but the boiler is not responding, so there is definitely a boiler fault.

As has been said already, you have posted a photo of the room thermostat, but there would normally also be some form of time control where you can set the on/off times for the heating somewhere. Something similar to this:

ae235.jpg

Having said that and as per the above the external controls are definitely telling the boiler to 'go' but it isn't. So, I would suspect either the boiler PCB or possibly the air pressure switch that controls the fan.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for all your advice. I decided against messing about with the wiring myself as I just didn’t feel confident enough that I wouldn’t do something dangerous!
Plumber came back today and barely touched it and it started working again! It’s a loose connection to the wiring up by the fan…he said the plug/casing has gone due to age/heat etc.
Given we are replacing the boiler in a couple of months I’m not paying for a repair. He said he wouldn’t even know where to start with replacing it anyway. It’s gone again since he left so I think I’ll just have a few months of removing the case and pushing the wires on/near the fan every few days!
Posting this for future reference as I did find other people’s resolutions helpful. Thanks again for your advice
Deb

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The external controls / motorised valves are providing the required 'run' signal which results in the 'Boiler On' light being illuminated as your photo shows. Once this happens....

View attachment 266060

....the boiler should then continue to the next sequence of starting the fan, and when that is confirmed light the pilot, and then the burner. This isn't happening, so will require an RGI to investigate. As far as any external controls go they are asking the boiler for heat, and have switched the 'Boiler On' but the boiler is not responding, so there is definitely a boiler fault.

As has been said already, you have posted a photo of the room thermostat, but there would normally also be some form of time control where you can set the on/off times for the heating somewhere. Something similar to this:

View attachment 266061

Having said that and as per the above the external controls are definitely telling the boiler to 'go' but it isn't. So, I would suspect either the boiler PCB or possibly the air pressure switch that controls the fan.

Thanks for this…there definitely aren’t any external controls. Just the thermostat to turn on and off…it’s a very basic set up!

If by removing the case to access the fan wiring, you mean this cover.....

Capture.JPG

....you shouldn't be doing that. It's part of the room sealed combustion chamber that should only be removed by an RGI who can carry out the necessary safety checks when it's replaced. Especially necessary if your boiler has aged seals.

A proper RGI should be able to sort a loose wiring problem very easily and quickly. It's hardly rocket science.

Sponsored Links
A proper RGI should be able to sort a loose wiring problem very easily and quickly. It's hardly rocket science.
Have sorted many of these, the bakalite connectors get brittle with the heat, not exactly a hard fix

If by removing the case to access the fan wiring, you mean this cover.....

View attachment 266246

....you shouldn't be doing that. It's part of the room sealed combustion chamber that should only be removed by an RGI who can carry out the necessary safety checks when it's replaced. Especially necessary if your boiler has aged seals.

Yes, exactly that case and those connectors. He was an RGI so not sure why he wasn’t keen on sorting it.
I know what you mean re safety around removing the cover but it still feels safer to me than actually attempting to rewire anything myself. To be honest the heating/boiler will remain off as much as possible now the colder weather has gone anyway. For health & safety and because it costs so much to have it on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back