Baxi Solo 3 pfl50 ongoing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’ve just moved into a house with one of these boilers. It broke down after 3 weeks and I had a plumber out who replaced the fan (after 10 days without heat). That was in Feb…it’s been repaired about 2-3 weeks and it’s gone again today. Obviously I’ll be calling them on Monday but I was hoping I could do something over the weekend because it’s quite cold!

Basically the boiler light is on but the fan and pilot lights are off. Thermostat is up, pump on water tank upstairs is running…just that it doesn’t run the usual starting process and fire up. When it went last time it happened sporadically before going permanently. Then I could either turn it down to reset and it would start or turn it off at the wall then all back on and it was fine.

After the guy fitted the fan it actually didn’t run immediately he poked around in the PCB and it fired up. He then said it might be the pcb ‘but it definitely still needed a fan’….I’d actually read lots of q&a here before he came and I suggested it could be the pcb when he arrived but he said fan because no fan light on.

My question is, is there anything I can do short term? I’m happy to replace the pcb but that won’t arrive til early next week when I hope the plumber will return.

There’s loads of other issues with the CH but I’ve gone on enough for now!

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the motorised valve, you should have one or 2 depending on the setup.

Ok, so there’s two of them. One I’ve pushed across to manual…that one leaks when the boiler isn’t working. It’s obviously been leaking a while as there’s a tub to catch the drips already here! It drips quite a bit from the base of the pipe underneath. The arm moves freely from ‘open’ to the other side.
The second one has A and B on the arm. That one doesn’t move freely, it’s currently on B but it does change.
I have no idea what to look for though!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
2B5DE238-2D00-4F83-BD3A-C258E59F876F.jpeg

Sorry not sure if you mean this? Thermostat? This is the only control. I’m only used to a combi boiler with a programmer/timer as well as the thermostat with on/off etc! This literally has nothing but this dial on the wall

I’m renovating the whole house so will be replacing the boiler and rads in about 4-6 months.
The whole system is strange to me…the pump on the tank is on permanently and it always sounds as if there’s someone in the shower! The radiators are clunky when the heatings on and even now it’s broken you can hear a constant hum through the house/pipes/rads as if it’s on.
I’m willing to ignore all that if we can just get some heat for the next few weeks though!

It was so noisy I’d turned the pump down to 1 (was on 2) and the temp on the tank down to 60 and that made the noise more manageable at night time. Not sure if that’s a good idea or not though

No that is just the room thermostat, there should be a programmer/controller somewhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back