baxi401 back boiler been condemed!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above been done by bg!

the reason for this is there is a hole in the casing at the back or as they called it combustion chamber!!

the engineer as said he cant repair it because parts are no longer availible??

they then gave a quote to remove said boiler and fit a new worcester bosch combi in the airing cupboard!! I have little cofidence in bg due to other issues irrelivant to this topic! the price is...... wait for it.....................£3500 :eek: Iam in the process of getting other quotes but am after some honest advice from people whom are not to profit from my prodiciment any info you guys and gals can give would be appreciated i.e did the bg engineer do the right thing by condeming it? is this price about right or silly?? thanks in advance.

john.....
IMG00353-20090614-1932.jpg
[/img]
IMG00352-20090614-1931.jpg

Sponsored Links
if there is a hole in the combustion chamber then it is ID and almost certainly beyond repair, so nothing wrong there.
The price actually seems reasonable as BG prices go. Get a couple of recommended local RGIs in for a qoute

It is a pity that Grittish Bas didn't spot the water leak a couple of years ago that has caused the corrosion, but that is done, the boiler is indeed at risk and should be repalced, I'm not sure a combi would be right for your situation , this should be decided during a survey of the system as a whole.
I would suggest that the price you have been Quoted is a bit steep, I would advise you to two or three Quotes from reputible local independent companies registered with Gas Safe Register, you should get a much better deal there

Good Luck sir ;)

****ish gas should replace the combustion box under your contract if it's still avaialble-a call to Baxi will confirm. BG are very overpriced and sub the work out to a local independant anyway.

Sponsored Links
****ish gas should replace the combustion box under your contract if it's still avaialble-a call to Baxi will confirm. BG are very overpriced and sub the work out to a local independant anyway.

wasn't available last time I needed one, that was about 4 years ago :(
tbh its prob time to change the old beast anyway.
nothing wrong with a combi if its properly spec'd (flowrate vs demand etc)

Thanks for the reply's guy i do appreciate it!!

So it does seem apparent that i do indeed need to replace this unit!!

But would removing the backboiler also render the fire useless??

thanks john...

Well at least i this case BG actually removed the firefront and burner, thats a lot more than most people seem to do at services and particularly landlord's checks from what I've seen.

Without seeing the job and what it entails that doesn't seem an outrageous price seeing as it's from BG.

If its obsolete then the fire may aswell go too. Brick it up and get an electric fire if you like.
Nowt wrong with a good quality combi installed correctly but you really do get what you pay for, the best makes are debatable but few would deny that Ideal are the worst manufacturer.

but am after some honest advice from people whom are not to profit from my prodiciment any info you guys and gals can give would be appreciated i.e did the bg engineer do the right thing by condeming it? is this price about right or silly?? thanks in advance.

the bloke gets a tenner(which is seperately taxed) from "recommending" your 15-30 year old piece of **** is immediately dangerous and needs to be replaced now.

what would you have preferred? that he said " yeah its fuc ked mate but if you want me to leave it on so you can maybe kill everyone in the house then i will". obviously when your missus dies you will be right on to your scumbag solicitor for a major payout for negligence.

you are the worst part of a hard job and i do my best every day to knock you off contract.

but am after some honest advice from people whom are not to profit from my prodiciment any info you guys and gals can give would be appreciated i.e did the bg engineer do the right thing by condeming it? is this price about right or silly?? thanks in advance.

the bloke gets a tenner(which is seperately taxed) from "recommending" your 15-30 year old piece of s**t is immediately dangerous and needs to be replaced now.

what would you have preferred? that he said " yeah its fuc ked mate but if you want me to leave it on so you can maybe kill everyone in the house then i will". obviously when your missus dies you will be right on to your scumbag solicitor for a major payout for negligence.

you two faced fuc ks are the worst part of a hard job and i do my best every day to knock you off contract.

From this post, you can see the standard of person that is employed by BG. Deffo get more quotes from independents. BG employ some knuckle draggers!

Although a bit of a brash statement i can see where nickso is coming from.
And every other pro on here must as well how many times have you been to jobs and when you cut people off because its dangerous and effectively you are possibly saving their kids and their own lives .
They go mental at you call you/say your trying to rob them etc etc. Even when you know for a fact they have been told stuff in the past.
I have seen peoples kids needing hospitalised and they still wont feking listen .
Do`nt you just love the public at times, its called priorities .

No one forces anyone to take BG prices in these cases but as a business why should they not quote .

One thing that is being forgotten here, is that we can only advise an appliance should be turned off and isolated.

If the customer refuse permission, then get them to sign they have done so, then call NG in, who are the only ones with the legal power to turn off and disconnect.

Whilst I agree with nickso's sentiments in principle, I feel you have over reacted in this case.

One must remember that BG operatives on here like nickso, who are doing a good job and ignoring the pressures from management, are always tarred with the same brush as the unscrupulous element who listen to and act upon their managers every word.

As said though, in this case the BG operative has behaved correctly.

OP I would think you will be able to source a local engineer who will do a good job for at least a £1000 less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back