Bay Window Soffits & Fascias

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I need to replace the fascias, soffits and guttering on my house ASAP, though I need some advice.

I have had a quote from a "large reputable" company. Terraced house, front and back, £3000. But with their "deal", £2000. This no obligation quote seemed to be an obligation to be honest as I had to keep rejecting signing up "now to secure the deal". A few days later, i'm getting cold calls from random companies on a mobile number i've never had issues with before. I won't be going with this company ever!

Onto my question though :) I have bay windows and my questions is regards the soffit around the bedroom bay window. They are the old wood soffits and they are rotting on one side and need replacing before this winter. I have taken this image from somewhere on the Internet to show why it looks like, as mine look pretty much the same...

The wooden soffits around the bay, are there any special requirements or considerations to getting them out or will they for example just slide out?

Also, regards putting new ones back in, how good would I have to be at cutting the shape? I don't have a jigsaw for example so would I need to buy one and get some practice in?[/img]

Sponsored Links
Are you serious? You live in a terraced house but it looks like a semi with an Oriel bay?

I am serious, my bay looks like that. That is not a picture of my house though, I took it from the Internet to demo what the bay looks like.

Technically, my bay is more rounded, but it does look mostly like that picture.

Sponsored Links
There is no way you'll be able to remove those tongue and groove soffits from under the bay overhang. They have to be carefully cut out around the window. If the window wasn't there they run all the way across the inside of the window and form part of the ceiling in the room.

That's a lovely house. Don't ruin it by doing it yourself get in someone who knows what they are doing. You want it looking mint.

To be honest, 2k for black grain full replacement front and back with scaffold isn't too bad. Shame they ruined their credibility with their silly sales tactics.

Good luck :mrgreen:

Mw Roofline... that makes sense now you say it. Thank you. Indeed, that might be a bit beyond my DIY abilities.

Too true about that company. Silly tactics and insulting my intelligence have put me right off them 100%. Even had the old, "by law we have to have both man and wife present for the quote" lyrics. I'll get some more quotes... there is a guy I recall who did an extension to a neighbours house the other year, seemed a top guy and an independant. He did their fascias and soffits at the same time. I'll get his number from them.

Its not the OP's house, neither is the the house in the other pic. He finds "its quicker" to post pics of other people's houses.

Here's me thinking The Church had diversified....

;)

Ooer.............

Good Point

Perish the thought..........

:LOL:

Thanks, ree. I am new here, your posts have been very understanding and useful :D

The company wasn't Anglian, though I have seen many many bad reviews on those guys stating pretty much the same tactics these plonkers tried. I wasn't sure if it was fair to name the actual company in public like this.

I double checked by calling the CPA and whoever else they badged on their gumph regards the "both homeowners have to be present", and they all laughed and replied, "no, nothing of the sort is true".

Thanks, ree. I am new here, your posts have been very understanding and useful :D

The company wasn't Anglian, though I have seen many many bad reviews on those guys stating pretty much the same tactics these plonkers tried. I wasn't sure if it was fair to name the actual company in public like this.

I double checked by calling the CPA and whoever else they badged on their gumph regards the "both homeowners have to be present", and they all laughed and replied, "no, nothing of the sort is true".

The reason they want both partners there is to get both in agreement rather than spend hours convincing one only for the other to come home and talk sense.lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back