BCO says NO to my DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gang,

Yes its me again....

BCO came today to look at electrics i had done.. He was happy with all the zones and so on no problems there... But he said i needed to install an RCD just for the new build bit :(

Im sure you all know the hastle i had trying to find the sentry 5 amp breaker which now looks like it was a waste of time... (came this morning as well)

I assume i cant fit an RCD to the Sentry type 2 so it looks like a full consumer change...

I have posted a picture so you can all take a look.. I assume the big issolator switch on that VERY OLD looking box completely issolates the consumer unit ? i know if i switch it off, all electrics go off..

Electrics.jpg

If that is the case, then i think the unit change should only take me an hour or 2...

What is a good but CHEAP unit to get ? i wasnt expecting to have to go out and get a complete new unit... Would i be best updating the bonding while im at it ? its currently in 5 or 6mm... Should i up it to 10 ?

Cheers guys..

Mick.

PS just in case your wiondering if i am capable of doing this, what do you think :D

me.jpg

LOL

Sponsored Links
"What is a good but CHEAP unit to get"

ha ha.

Good, OR cheap is how it usually works.

But all is not lost!

I don't think your old Sentry box is going to have the facility for split load, but I see from my old MK catalogue that you can get RCBOs for it. They are single pole with solid neutral.

They are part no's
6930 16Amp 30mA
6330 32Amp 30mA

They are the same width as the MCBs, but taller behind the cover.

If you can get some on Fleabay, they are a good solution. They only protect one circuit each, incorporating both an RCD and an MCB in a single device. They are not widely used because new, they cost about the same as an RCD that can protect several circuits. If cost was not a concern, I am convinced it would be better to have one of these on each circuit instead of separate MCBs and a single RCD.

Alternatively, you could put a single ordinary RCD in its own small enclosure in the circuit cable between the CU and your load. This is quite common but not such an elegant solution.

I am sure you do not want to put a whole-house RCD in the tails before your CU, since this means you would lose all power, including lights and freezer, from a fault on a single circuit.

++ a question for up-to-date sparkies - is there a reason why current-model Sntry devices can't be used with the older CU? is it a size thing, or different shape bubar? ++++

When they fitted that nice new meter, shouldn't they have replaced all that junk underneath it and condemned it to a museum?

And why all the expanding foam EVERYWHERE???? :eek:

You could fit an RCD in a separate enclosure just protecting your new ring, but if you are going to replace the consumer unit then screwfix have a crabtree split board at a good price (think they also have an MK one if you prefer)

Yeah, it would be a good idea to update the bonding, oh and I'm not sure about that earth connection the service head, any chance of a closer pick

I know somepeople will say that you shouldn't change a CU without testing it, and we all know that in an ideal world..., but if you are replacing type 2 breakers with type B (which allow a bigger Z than type 2) and adding an rcd to some circuits, then you are not making it more dangerous than it was, quite the opposite, and if the building officier is happy.... :)

Oh, and FWIW, if the extension is downstairs (as opposed to extending across the top of a flat roof) then I agree with the BO, unless sufficent outlets with built in RCD are provided for outside use

Sponsored Links
The BCO guy brought another guy with him. I assume a local council spark to check what i had done.. he seemed quite happy.

He said i should have an earth bond near the stop tap, think there is one already but isnt visable at the moment.

I was told to run a 10mm earth to the new boiler, by the spark who is going to do the periodic check... the council spark said wasnt needed but seeing its there now i will put it there...

I went to local electrical sypply shop, he also suggested a seperate stand alone RCD. But how does that wire up ? Do i run cable from the MCB in the sentry to the RCD then run the ring from there ? Or do i run new tails to the RCD from the master switch in the sentry ?

Got quoted £37.00 for a stand alsone rcd... Or £70.00 for a split load consumer with rcd, and 6 mcb's

If it were you guys, and you were in my situation, what would you do ?

Fit an RCD or full unit ?

John,

Do you mean there are mcb/rcd combine breakers that will replace the standard ones ?

So i simply throw the old 30amp one in the bin and fit a 32amp rcd/mcb ?

:D

Cheers

Mick.

Mick Leek said:
John,

Do you mean there are mcb/rcd combine breakers that will replace the standard ones ? :!: Yes :!:

So i simply throw the old 30amp one in the bin and fit a 32amp rcd/mcb ? :!: No, - sell the old one on Fleabay :LOL: or keep it in your box of things that are sure to come in handy one day :LOL:

:D

Cheers

Mick.

Cheers john... that one on e bay ended last week BUT it didnt sell by the look of it...

Hopefully he will still have it. Have e mailed him..

Thanks again John..

Bloody wife's going to be sore :LOL:

Mick Leek said:

Yes, it's part no. 6330 which is the old 32A 30mA RCBO. I looked earlier for you, didn't see any. If he has more than one, I'd buy as many as you can use.

If your old CU is the age shown in my 1990/92 catalogue, it should be part no.5607/09/12/16 - can you see a p/n anywhere?

Can you post a pic of the CU with the door open? and (main switch off!) without the cover? I see some of the enclosures had the capacity to be set up as split-load.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
John,

Not sure if i would have room.. The space you can see is where the new 6 amp lighting breaker will go.. arrived this morning..

By the way,

There is a sticker on unit that says last tested 1983 :eek: so i assume that was when it was installed

unit1.jpg

unit2.jpg

You're right, no room for a split-load RCD, and it does not have the joined neutral bar show in my cat. I think the RCBO will be good. If you pay less than £10 and it works, it's a bargain.

I like that "plugged knock-out" idea.

And to answer Crafty's "And why all the expanding foam EVERYWHERE???? " it's because the post-build injected cavity wall insulation bulged through the unsealed holes in the interior leaf of the wall, isn't it?

To my mind, you're better off with a new board. It will fit above meter, surely?

This way, you can update to a 100A board with 25mm2 tails (your main sw is 60A, I note) and everything will be to the new din standard so spares in the future should not be so much of a problem.

You can fit modern MK stuff in old boards (provided you have the space!!), with a busbar kit.

You attach the short tail to the main switch or busbar, then attach the other end to the new device (if you just have 1 to add) or to an extension busbar with 3 or 4 (is it 3? I can't remember?) prongs on.

Cheers John d and Secure spark...

I have contacted the guy selling that RCBO. He STILL has it and has offered it to me for £0.99 but £4.99 P&P..
Jesus christ... has the post office gone mad :LOL:

Still its cheaper than £70.00 plus for a new consumer unit...

Thanks to all you lovely people for all for all your help... I think this web site is awesome. ( well done mods, and keep up the good work... i think you are all amazing people for offering your time and effort producing such an informative and helpful means of information) And all you guys out there are wicked. I would love to have all your babies and buy you all Kegs of beer.

Ops sorry, fell asleep their for a moment and had this aweful dream........

But honestly,

thanks guys, If you ever need a multiplex digital 3000 channel shot blast explosive firing device, Give me a call....

Mick..

PS.

John D ... The wife want's to know if you prefer white or black stockings :D

I like shiny black hold-ups.

Where's her pic then, Mr Pheno Fireworks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back