bearing for steel?

It can, but the flange is 254, so 154 will be in thin air.

I was just wondering why the OP chose to use the UC in place of a UB out of curiosity.

Sponsored Links
It can, but the flange is 254, so 154 will be in thin air.

I was just wondering why the OP chose to use the UC in place of a UB out of curiosity.

mark... with all due respect.... i dont think you should comment....

and to your question about sizes of steels... a uc is normally used if there is a headroom situation..
Ball park... a shallower section that carries a similar weight

Well I'm not going to argue with that! :oops:

Sorry all if I posted anything misleading; any questions were to get more detail about the OPs situation, the OP did not provide enough information to give a reasonable answer in the first instance.

You obviously know what you're talking about, so I'll leave :oops: :oops:

Well I'm not going to argue with that! :oops:

Sorry all if I posted anything misleading; any questions were to get more detail about the OPs situation, the OP did not provide enough information to give a reasonable answer in the first instance.

You obviously know what you're talking about, so I'll leave :oops: :oops:

we all try to live and learn...

learning being the all important.....

Sponsored Links
Mark,

Its bearing on a 100mm wall that is running at 90 degrees to the beam so has a full 254 bearing under the steel under this is a 440 x 100 conc block to further spread the load. I was having a conversation regarding this when I was shown a piece of information that said as you said minimum bearing should be 150mm and panicked. Then when I thought about it I realised this was not the case. I remembered seeing this information in lintel guidelines too. But when I checked the wall and bearing they were fine. As I said it had been a long day.

This is a good place for information quickly so I tried it.

Thanks for the replies

I looked at a UB but as Geraint said it was rediculously deep and the floor space is only 260mm.

Nobody here knows if a 100mm bearing is suitable or not because we don't have all the necessary information. You've checked with your SE and he says it's ok. Providing he has appropriate PI insurance I'd go with that if I were you.

Nobody here knows if a 100mm bearing is suitable or not because we don't have all the necessary information. You've checked with your SE and he says it's ok. Providing he has appropriate PI insurance I'd go with that if I were you.

so please tell when it is not enough in a domestic situation...

If the wall has been checked to take the load and the beam designed with reduced bearing then no probs..

Course 7m span onto 100mm wall flags up warnings in my head that a pier is required.. as well as a foundation check and pad footings etc etc..

Static";p="2011409 said:
If the wall has been checked to take the load and the beam designed with reduced bearing then no probs..

Course 7m span onto 100mm wall flags up warnings in my head that a pier is required.. as well as a foundation check and pad footings etc etc..[/quote

what warnings are those...

surely the man must have had it designed, or he would not have had the section size or the bearing.....

Glad you know that Geraint, makes me sleep better at night.. but often foundation checks or masonry checks are overlooked by less experienced designers, for me a 7m steel bearing onto a 100mm wall unless its lightly loaded (then a 254uc is way ott) needs a quick check is all..

It is quite lightly loaded floor load only but has 4 trimmer beams spanning onto it. It is really just the span and the fact that there is no allowance for much deflection that the section size is big.
The end reaction is around 70kN but has plenty of wall to spread it out.
70/5m= 14kN/m so founds aren't overloaded
70000/440x100= 1.6N/mm under padstone

So hopefully all is fine - they say a little knowledge is dangerous and the guy that said I needed 150mm bearing had a little knowledge. And it states in NHBC standards that minimum bearing for a steel is 100mm and lintels over 1.2m are 150mm this is where the confusion came from.

Glad you know that Geraint, makes me sleep better at night.. but often foundation checks or masonry checks are overlooked by less experienced designers, for me a 7m steel bearing onto a 100mm wall unless its lightly loaded (then a 254uc is way ott) needs a quick check is all..

you seem just a creepy.... not a real one....

have dealt with many... and they are always so mellow.

so what happened to you..

It is quite lightly loaded floor load only but has 4 trimmer beams spanning onto it. It is really just the span and the fact that there is no allowance for much deflection that the section size is big.
The end reaction is around 70kN but has plenty of wall to spread it out.
70/5m= 14kN/m so founds aren't overloaded
70000/440x100= 1.6N/mm under padstone

So hopefully all is fine - they say a little knowledge is dangerous and the guy that said I needed 150mm bearing had a little knowledge. And it states in NHBC standards that minimum bearing for a steel is 100mm and lintels over 1.2m are 150mm this is where the confusion came from.
Thanks for clarifying, looks good.

so do you say a 254uc is over specified over 7 metres,

do not want to argue the toss, unlike some so called professionals on here, so hey ho.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back