Beautiful copper slate tiles destroyed by grout. Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please, please help.

We are fitting an entirely new kitchen. We put down gorgeous copper slate tiles, cut perfectly, fixed to floor without a hitch.

It was advised that we sealed these tiles before grouting cos they're uneven and sort of textured as you can imagine, so we did that.

Then came the grout. :evil: Worked it in carefully but inevitably there was some extra smeared over the tiles. Carefully wiped some off as we went but some had adhered itself to the tile surfaces so badly that we can't get it off. Tried washing the tile surface, even scraping the offending grout out of grooves but our fabulous tiles are still caked with sandstone coloured dust and just look ancient and filthy with a vague suggestion of what they once were.

Very panicked here. :eek: Any suggestions as to how to fix this disaster? Any products to use? (Water and screwdriver are absolutely not working). Need advice in a major hurry as have to build up units on top of this mess without delay.

Thanks.

Lorac

Sponsored Links
i dont know the answer

if nothing else is forthcomming

my suggestion is take a couple of spare tiles seal as per other tiles
get some grout on them

then experiment on these so any dammage finding the solution
wont cause visible dammage

big all

Cement & Concrete Hydrochloric Cleaner may do it but try a small area out of sight first.

Hi there

You can get some tile cleaner. I used it on my quarry tiles that were also covered in grout - it works a treat. You'll need to get some heavy duty scourers as well to help, and some elbow grease!!! But it does remove the grout. Just make sure you can use it on your type of tiles first & good luck!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

Have been through there for a couple of hours trying to chisel the darn stuff off! Can barely type now, wrist almost broken - wimp that I am.

Will probably give up and try your suggestions. Plenty of inconspicuous areas cos some will be covered by units.

Fingers crossed and many thanks.

L

Go to a good tile supplier and get one of the HG products for removing grout stains that are safe on slate. You probably left it too long between applying the grout and cleaning it off, I find it is also better to do the rough surface tiles mor like pointing than using a grout spreader as it means a lot less cleaning up.

Here's one I did earlier this year

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/work/?action=view&current=PICT0009.jpg

Jason

Good workmanship jasonb.

How thick are the floor tiles ?

They are Fired Earths "parchment" range 600x400, catalogue says thickness varies from 8mm-25mm but I found they were 12-20mm. Required a lot of pre sorting to avoide uneven height between slabs, also very heavy, I could only carry two at a time and the job totaled 40 square meters! Did all the kitchen as well except gas & corian worktops.

Jason

The floor grout blended very well the floor tiles, how did you match it ?

Does your floor tiles height carried on to your next room floor area the same height or is it stepped down because of the floor thickness or did you allow for it ?

Really nice work Jason :D

One thing I noticed was that the pattern in the tiling was very random like deliberately random. Was this the case?

I only ask because when I laid a patio with riven slabs, I wasn't quite sure at first whether to try and keep the pattern running the same way or random??? I was pleased with the end result (and the customer too!) so not a prob, but wondered what the pro's do?

What do you think? Click here

Jason, I have to ask: Sarah Beeny? Is this a video capture or did she cover your house?

Or is JasonB none other than Jason Beeny? :eek:

Adam, She's no relation, as this was a bit of an old post I had taked it onto that album so I could post it regarding a thread on Screwfix forum.

Jason

For anyone who was wondering...

tn_sarah_beenie001_jpg.gif

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGA!!! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back