Beautify Radiator pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorting out our new house and next on the job list is change a few of the radiators...they are a bit nasty and rusty with a whole range of different valves.

Anyway, the piping is 10mm copper hidden behind skirting and comes out of the wall at a weird angle.

As my wife would like larger/taller skirting, I'll be mounting the new radiators higher up and so I'll be extending the pipes anyway (if this helps).

How would a professional make it look nicer? (I like right angles)

I don't like connectors on show. (I am happy using compression and push fit stuff, but not soldering)

I'm intending to use some 10mm to 15mm reducing sets like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/reducing-set-15-10mm/70435

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have plumbed in rads in 2 houses using 15mm push fit plastic but the tails from the rads to the tees I did in copper going down vertically then into a solder ring elbow and horizontal into the plastic tee which is mainly concealed by skirting board. In the case of 10mm you should be able to use an external bending spring and do the 90 degree bends with that instead of using an elbow. I did have to hollow out the skirting a bit around the tees themselves as the push fit are quite bulky. Doing the bends with a spring is a bit wasteful of pipe because you need to start off with them too long to get enough leverage. A proper pipe bending machine is probably less wasteful but you have the added cost of hiring or buying the tool. Those reducers in your link will only work with compression tees they are no good on push fit ones.

Thanks.

I was going to use the reducers to go from the pipe to the TRVs.

I guess if I get a pipe bender, I can get a tighter elbow.

Sponsored Links
Not sure how to use the Tee as there looks to be an in and out flow side for each radiator.

Was going to go 10-15mm straighter reducer (hidden in the wall) then two tight bends in 15mm chrome plated copper pipe to the radiator valves.

Thanks

Why are you using reducers? Is that for the new valves? Why not just clean the pipe up and then use 10mm valves?

Price mainly. Screwfix do a 15mm TRV and locknot thingy for a fiver.

Also I'm struggling to find any 10mm chrome plated copper pipes.

Fair enough, you can get 10mm chrome clip over.

You are kinda restricted though if you're not prepared to use soldered fittings. Push fit/compression shouldn't be hidden in a wall, they really need to be accessible.
I'd probably connect new 10mm pipe lower down and run a single piece of pipe vertically up the wall and then a 90 deg bend out horizontally to connect to the rad, you could then cut chrome clip overs to fit over the little tail coming out of the wall

The only thing that worries me is whether I'll be able to get 2 right angle bends in the pipe so close to each other (the first bend to bring the pipe out of the wall horizontally and the second bend to connect to the valves vertically).

Will be buying a pipe bender from toolstation/screwfix/ebay to do the job

Probably not given the radii. Why have the pipes and valves vertical? If you want to come out of the wall above the skirting then the current angled setup may be more suitable or set the valves horizontal?

Valves horizontally? ...with the TRV pointing into the room. Think my wife would kill me.

I guess I could use two 60 (or even 45) degree angles...I'm going from vertical pipe in the wall to a vertical valve so the angles are irrelevant. The less the angle the longer the pipe between the bends though...

or a reducer 90 degree elbow in the wall.

Then I would only have to make one bend.

(I plan to learn how to sweet joints when the house is closer to being done/less of a building site!)

Or use a straight TRV and make all the bends in the pipework.

Can't wait to see a sweet joint! - sweat?

Valves horizontally? ...with the TRV pointing into the room.

Horizontal meaning in line with the radiator:

Dexterity.jpg

Right I've decided to fit a chrome compression elbow to the bottom of the radiator valves.

Then a bit of 15mm chrome pipe into the wall.

A 15mm push fit elbow to a plastic reducer via a bit of plastic pipe.

No sweating (or sweeting) or bending.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back