Beauty Parlour next door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would this sit with you all?
I live in a nice quiet street and the newish next door neighbours have built a a garage which of course on its own they're quite within their rights under permitted development regs. BUT its fully kitted out as a beauty salon and trades openly on the net. Things have now developed to them having staff working in there together with parking problems in the road and their clients reversing up my drive and parking on the verge ouside my house. The client numbers are increasing all the time and its now got to the point where me and many of the other neighbours are *issed off with it.
I've had a coupla frank chats with them re them using my driveway to reverse on and I may have eventually got my point across.
I am wondering if building regs are necessary due to its type of use especially as its likely to have hot/cold running water and drains connected.
I/we have considered contacting the council but don't want to have to register a dispute incase any of us sell and would have to disclose it.
Opinions and thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
Harry

Sponsored Links
You don't have to register any personal information with the council the moment they get wind that someone is not paying enough money there will be 5 of them turn up next day at their door with clipboards and quite possibly the police for dramatic effect.

It's one of very few occasions you get any kind of response or service from the council. Write an annonymous letter and watch the fireworks.

How would this sit with you all?
I live in a nice quiet street and the newish next door neighbours have built a a garage which of course on its own they're quite within their rights under permitted development regs. BUT its fully kitted out as a beauty salon and trades openly on the net. Things have now developed to them having staff working in there together with parking problems in the road and their clients reversing up my drive and parking on the verge ouside my house. The client numbers are increasing all the time and its now got to the point where me and many of the other neighbours are *issed off with it.
I've had a coupla frank chats with them re them using my driveway to reverse on and I may have eventually got my point across.
I am wondering if building regs are necessary due to its type of use especially as its likely to have hot/cold running water and drains connected.
I/we have considered contacting the council but don't want to have to register a dispute incase any of us sell and would have to disclose it.
Opinions and thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
Harry

It will need to be re-classifed as commercial use so they WILL need planning permission and that may require making various adjustments to the property if it is granted such as WC requirements etc which will need to be building regs compliant.

The odds of them having a commercial license is slim in a residential area. Looks like it's an on the sly business. Not only council will be interested (business rates etc) but also HMRC

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies chaps.
Having just checked my local council website it states that they do not usually follow up anonymous complaints.
Doh!
Harry

Thanks for the replies chaps.
Having just checked my local council website it states that they do not usually follow up anonymous complaints.
Doh!
Harry

If enough people report it, they will be out there, sounds like this business is flouting Planning Permission.

Almost every complaint to the council about people committing housing benefit fraud is made anonymously and followed up.

Screenshot_20161119-105244.png

An enquiry to the council about whether planning permission or building regulations has been applied for would not be a dispute.

An enquiry to the local fire brigade about whether a beauty parlour with stores of solvents for nail painting might be a fire risk would not be a dispute.

A complaint about the neighbour operating a business might be a dispute. So don't complain; enquire.

And although councils will not accept anonymous enquiries they will not divulge details of anyone enquiring (or even complaiing) about planning permission or building regulations.

Some councils offer info on planning permissions, past and present. You may be able to check online with your local council.. Helped us no end when we were looking at properties to buy.

Sponsored Links
Back