Rear View Mirror - it's gone!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bizzare thing to make a topic about, but....

I bought a Vauxhall Combo today, and when your previous cars have been a Peugeot 106 and a Vauxhall Corsa, you are used to nice small cars, that also have a rear view mirror!

I was in Tesco's today and I found it so hard to reverse out of the parking space without seeing what is behind me, I was scared there could be a kid behind me and I wouldn't even know it - I went very slow just incase and had my girlfriend looking out her window to make sure.

Also when I parked in the flat car park someone parked about 4 meters behind me and I found it really hard reversing because I didn't know if I would hit it (couldn't really see it in side mirrors)

Just wondering, do you get used to not having that rear view mirror?

The back doors don't have any windows in so it's not even the case of just buying one and sticking it on.

I was thinking of maybe a small camera on the back and a small screen in the front so I can see behind me.

Dear Mr Moderator: I was going to put this in General Cars, but I posted in there about a week ago, and I'm still the latest poster in there so don't really see the point.

Sponsored Links
i dont use rear view mirror for reversing, always used door mirrors

you think that is difficult,

Borrowed a van from work to collect a dining room suite from Plymouth two years ago and no rear view mirror, really struggled to turn it round with two people watching the back.

It was a very long wheelbase Sprinter (22' long). . . . . . . now there's a Van, the suite was lost in the back.

Sponsored Links
I don't see what the big deal is? You only need two wing mirrors and a bit of common sense.

mattylad, he will need to cut a hole in the back door as he said there are no windows!!
you do get used to it but you need to be extra careful especially if the van is wider than the car you are reversing near in the car park, you could fit a reverse sensor kit but it is a bit excessive for a works van, i remember years ago someone in a council van knocked someone down when reversing and the council spent thousands getting beepers (technical phrase!!) fitted so that people would be alerted to a vehicle reversing.

:oops:

So he did, but he can still fit his own & put a nice picture up behind him :D

you think that is difficult,

Borrowed a van from work to collect a dining room suite from Plymouth two years ago and no rear view mirror, really struggled to turn it round with two people watching the back.

It was a very long wheelbase Sprinter (22' long). . . . . . . now there's a Van, the suite was lost in the back.

I had a Berlingo that got into a fight with another vehicle and they lent me a Sprinter as a replacement van :eek:

I could have parked my Berlingo in the back :LOL:

OP you just get used to it :cool:

Yep, takes a while but you get used to it.

When you have been driving the van long enough you will not use the rear view mirror in your car either....

You need to get into the habit of looking for obstacles behind the van as you are about to set off, and things like reversing into parking spaces and driveways, as you cant see whats coming if you reverse out.

Also pulling up square to junctions as you can't look over your shoulder to see if anything is coming.

I have to drive this:
Photo028.jpg

In a few weeks. I'm helping the setup of a new store, which I will be working at, so they are giving me the use of the van for a week in order to pinch stock from other stores (we move it on cages, hence the mahoosive van with tail lift)

I'm scared though :LOL: Its got six wheels!!! SIX!!!!

My Fiat Scudo has no rear windows. Use your wings - but if you can see the side of your van without moving your head your mirrors aren't lined up properly.

I turned left on a motorway island last week, and immediately entered the left lane of a two laned motorway entry sliproad, after glancing in my right wing mirror I saw a car tearing up my a**epipe about 100yds away (hang on - your wing mirrors make objects appear further away than they actually are) - call it 75yds then, and the front lights on this four-wheeeeeled Excocet where flashing like the Waltzers at my local fair.

Imagine my amusement when he went past me in the empty outside lane of the two-laned motorway entry slip road shaking his head and tapping his rear-view mirror!

Yeah, imagine that!

Imagine what would have happened if I'd actually had rear windows and a rear view mirror!

That's right, I could have seen his tiny-penis posturing idiocy from further away and manged to swerve in front of him and run him off the road into a deep motorway-side verge.

I could then have spent five careful minutes lecturing him on the actualities of having and not-having rear view mirrors, imagine the fun we could have had.

Bottom line, you need to adapt to the defficiency of not having a rear view mirror asap. Don't expect any help.

Sponsored Links
Back