bed side lights - wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I got a dilemma with 2 bedroom wall lights. I got one each side of the bed, each got it's own switch. Though have a feeling the bloke who done it has daisy chained the other light and switch into the other & don't think it's right.

Anyway got extend the power cable to the switch as it wasn't chased into the wall, which I want to to, now removed bed side-cupboard that was hiding it. I can't seem to work out the wiring formation in the lighting switch once I removed it.

The power flex cable is pre 2007 wiring colouring red & black.

Does anybody have a diagram how this should be properly wired. As you can see in the photo which I know isn't clear.

Power lead 1 (Is the main supply) The red wire wasn't connected (not sure if this came out when I withdrew the lighting switch)? The black wire from this goes into a connector block to join lead 2.

Lead 2 I am assuming is the lead to the actual light. One of it's red wires is connected to the common bit of the switch.

Lead 3 I am assuming goes to the to other light switch which is daisy chained of the light switch in question (one of these red wires is connected to the light switch).

Nesty

wiringbedroomdiagram.jpg

Sponsored Links
As you can see in the photo which I know isn't clear.
Indeed not - can you try again, or draw a diagram?

Power lead 1 (Is the main supply)
How do you know?

The red wire wasn't connected (not sure if this came out when I withdrew the lighting switch)?
Do the lights still work?

The black wire from this goes into a connector block to join lead 2.
Where does the black from cable 3 go?

Lead 2 I am assuming is the lead to the actual light. One of it's red wires is connected to the common bit of the switch.
Shouldn't do electrical work on the basis of guesses. Do you not have a multimeter?

Lead 3 I am assuming goes to the to other light switch which is daisy chained of the light switch in question (one of these red wires is connected to the light switch).
More guesswork. Have you looked at the other switch?

If the loop runs through the switches (hence my Q about the blacks) then it all sounds OK.

electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting:sl1w.gif

PS - put some sleeving on the earths...

Hi

Many thanks. Yes just come across this photo myself. My set is exactly same as this. Looks like the wire has come adift from the light switch.

Nesty

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back